Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Re: Why Won't You Walk Away, Mrs May?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
No-one wants a no-deal Purwell! but there has to be an end to this farce with Barnier, In the end it will come down to a choice of three things, either she goes against the wishes of the result of the Referendum to Leave by betraying us and saying goodbye to democracy in this country, or she goes ahead and calls Barnier's bluff and starts finally issuing what we want and rightly expect out of these negotiations before they get a penny from us. I think there has been enough give from us and take from them. If Brussels still refuse to negotiate sensibly instead of acting like truculent schoolchildren, then we should do what we should have done once she and David Davis must surely have seen in all the meetings that have taken place to date, that Barnier has absolutely no interest, nor has he ever had since the result of the referendum, All he cares about is the establishment itself, he is prepared to sacrifice European trade, jobs and citizens in his quest to humiliate and humble the UK for our audacity in voting to leave. That is why these negotiations are a farce!. Therefore, if what is agreed at Chequers on Friday is presented and pushed back in her face as normal, she and her team must have the guts to say enough is enough and walk away.

I know the latter would be the worst case scenario, but there comes a time when bullies have to have a slap themselves to bring them to their senses, and Barnier and his team are certainly acting like bullies.
So you are quite happy to destroy the economy to satisfy your illusions? thank you so much for doing your best to destroy my retirement plans.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Here's an interesting question:. Why are the EU complaining so bitterly about Trump's tariffs when they are proposing the the same for us?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Here's an interesting question:. Why are the EU complaining so bitterly about Trump's tariffs when they are proposing the the same for us?

Good point.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 07:21 PM

Hi

They are not, they have offered a Free Trade Deal.

The thing they have not done is offer access to the Single Market, a completely different thing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Because they must hate Trump as much as they hate us!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Blimey.
So,if we,the UK,don't kowtow to everything the ''mass 27'' [and btw-how many leaders of those 27 countries can you name WITHOUT resorting to a search engine?!?] demand of us...we're doomed???

Hmm...so the WTO,the 'happy to trade with you' countries,the commonwealth,those countries emerging into 21st century commerce...NONE of that matters or has significance?
So in the days of the EEC,when we traded but weren't dictated to,when our Merchant navy was busy across the planet,when docks were bustling as goods came in AND out-and when Charles De Gaulle was our best friend on the European continent,although our MP's couldn't/wouldn't see it,...you're saying our British resolve can't put right,with a bit of effort and a lot of pride,the c#ck-up that has emerged from the chaos of the b#llsh#t that Brussels [or Strasbourg,depending on where MEP's fancy being at £150,000,000 per move...financed by the gullible citizens of the EU,btw] spout on a daily basis??? OK-let's say we,the people of the 'Dark Side' accept all your 'remain' arguments and agree to be put directly under Merkel's hammer...on the proviso that EVERY MEP works for minimum wage-a structure THEY put in place-to prove to the scummy unwashed masses who DARE to question their right to be unyielding & imperious....but ok,for the sake of fair discussion,let's say we do....when they next start another war,for whatever reason-will YOU be eagerly signing up to fight people you have no argument with,for a reason you don't understand,in a land who's language you don't speak,killing people you don't hate,because a bullying,overpaid,self-important,unwilling-to-listen,not-interested-in-you-OR-your-family BEAUROCRAT ordered you to??? Trade,we can sort out by ourselves-we've done it for centuries...but being ordered to take part in other people's arguments...nah-you can keep it. Been there,done that.
I was a child when we joined the EEC. But I don't remember much affluence in the 70s. It was a terrible time for the economy before we joined. Everything was really expensive and we had no consumer choice. Going abroad was really expensive and there was no customer service. We'd had a massive influx of immigration from outside Europe. Inflation was out of control. The class system still ruled the country. Unions still fought against it.

I don't know what kind of delusion people have that's coloured by the rosy specs of poor memory, but it was not an easy time to live in Britain.

Since the EEC changed into the EU our affluence has exploded into people being able to afford to do up their houses, buy the latest car, tv and go on exotic holidays. It also means you can afford food in shops and why we can still have a free health service and some sort of state pension. Without the free market all this will be unaffordable. We are struggling as it is because of the effects of the global financial crash of 2007/8.

I can't believe the lack of understanding of the economy and global interdependence that I see on these threads. But this one takes the biscuit. To crash out is the worst case scenario - a disaster. It's not something to celebrate or champion. Only someone totally uninformed about how things work could feel happy about such a scenario.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was a child when we joined the EEC. But I don't remember much affluence in the 70s. It was a terrible time for the economy before we joined. Everything was really expensive and we had no consumer choice. Going abroad was really expensive and there was no customer service. We'd had a massive influx of immigration from outside Europe. Inflation was out of control. The class system still ruled the country. Unions still fought against it.

I don't know what kind of delusion people have that's coloured by the rosy specs of poor memory, but it was not an easy time to live in Britain.

Since the EEC changed into the EU our affluence has exploded into people being able to afford to do up their houses, buy the latest car, tv and go on exotic holidays. It also means you can afford food in shops and why we can still have a free health service and some sort of state pension. Without the free market all this will be unaffordable. We are struggling as it is because of the effects of the global financial crash of 2007/8.

I can't believe the lack of understanding of the economy and global interdependence that I see on these threads. But this one takes the biscuit. To crash out is the worst case scenario - a disaster. It's not something to celebrate or champion. Only someone totally uninformed about how things work could feel happy about such a scenario.
You don't half talk some piffle Annie

We had a health service long before joining the EEC so to say we won't afford it outwith the EU is Project Fear. We also had food in the shops, better schools and there were pensions then as well . We built British designed cars , washing machines and many other products.
Cheaper holidays were the result of a strong pound , new destinations opening up and cheap flights. In fact, you can thank the Fascist General Franco for cheap foreign holidays, not the EEC or the EU. They were different times and not really relevant to today.

There are 10 countries outwith the EU for every 1 that's in it. They manage to crack on just fine in this global interdependant trading scenario you fear so much.

Our current wealth is DESPITE the EU......not because of it.

There is no need to 'crash out' of the EU.

We simply need to honour the wishes of the electorate and leave the EU in a negotiated and agreeable fashion.

Btw.....the reason we are 'struggling' is because our expectations as a society and as a member of the EU are not deliverable......not without some other poor ****er somewhere else on the planet losing out......That's what kind of world you are investing in......Ever truly thought through how the West has so much wealth to squander?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->

So the EU knows you are bluffing. But go ahead. Have a hissy fit. Stick it to them. Stomp out the door. Good luck.
Flicker, all you have done here is to enforce the view that we have been trapped into a system we should not joined up for.

It's no use claiming that escaping will damage us.

It was the joining which caused the damage.

Now we are faced with some real pain to get out. But, if we don't make the effort, and stay in, the situation will intensify and we'll get more & more frustrated by those EU people.

Perhaps a full scale riot will be on the cards.

The future looks bleak, if we leave, but the future looks unbearable if we stay.

Let's get back our democracy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You don't half talk some piffle Annie

We had a health service long before joining the EEC so to say we won't afford it outwith the EU is Project Fear. We also had food in the shops, better schools and there were pensions then as well . We built British designed cars , washing machines and many other products.
Cheaper holidays were the result of a strong pound , new destinations opening up and cheap flights. In fact, you can thank the Fascist General Franco for cheap foreign holidays, not the EEC or the EU. They were different times and not really relevant to today.

There are 10 countries outwith the EU for every 1 that's in it. They manage to crack on just fine in this global interdependant trading scenario you fear so much.

Our current wealth is DESPITE the EU......not because of it.

If the remainiacs want to worry about our leaving the EU, that's their prerogative.

I'm not worried.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Flicker, all you have done here is to enforce the view that we have been trapped into a system we should not joined up for.

It's no use claiming that escaping will damage us.

It was the joining which caused the damage.

Now we are faced with some real pain to get out. But, if we don't make the effort, and stay in, the situation will intensify and we'll get more & more frustrated by those EU people.

Perhaps a full scale riot will be on the cards.

The future looks bleak, if we leave, but the future looks unbearable if we stay.

Let's get back our democracy.
I agree generally, but I really don't believe that the future looks bleak when we leave the EU.

Yes, there may well be some minor difficulties, but I am confident that is all.

As for Flicker, I get the impression that she is desperate for us to stay in the EU. I just wonder why she is so 'concerned' for us if it won't affect her and her fellow Frogs.

Perhaps the truth is that she is worried that it will!

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top