Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Bathroom floor repairs

Our upstairs neighbour has flooded our bathroom now so many times our floor is rotting we believe. There is a really spongy area by the entrance to the bathroom. So is this a job we can do ourselves or would you get someone in to do it.
Husband says he can direct if Nathan follows his directions but I am thinking it might be a bit much for an amateur DIY pair to attempt.

So any advice welcome including leave well alone and get someone in.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Re: Bathroom floor repairs

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Our upstairs neighbour has flooded our bathroom now so many times our floor is rotting we believe. There is a really spongy area by the entrance to the bathroom. So is this a job we can do ourselves or would you get someone in to do it.
Husband says he can direct if Nathan follows his directions but I am thinking it might be a bit much for an amateur DIY pair to attempt.

So any advice welcome including leave well alone and get someone in.
Depends really on what is underneath your bathroom and the level of expertise of your OH, but rotten floors really can be a can of worms so if in doubt then I would advise that you ask someone with more qualifications and experience to have a look ...
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Julie make sure if you get your floor fixed that your neighbour doesnt carry on flooding your bathroom as any work you do to mend your floor will just be spoiled time again.
That would be the first thing id try to "fix" imo....
Id definately get someone with experience to do the work ,it will be worth it for sheer peace of mind..it could turn out to be a bigger job than first appears.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:09 PM

I'm not sure what we can do to stop them Aysa, they leave the bath running and no amount of complaints to the council seem to have an effect. They just tell us to get insured but having been flooded several times no one wants to insure us.

I am thinking as we don't know whats under the floor we should get someone to at least look at it before we act further.

Nates wonderful but he does get a bit too over confident about what he can achieve the follies of youth.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Will the council not repair the floor Julie? Surely the fabric of the building is the landlord's responsibility?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Will the council not repair the floor Julie? Surely the fabric of the building is the landlord's responsibility?
Our shared ownership deal seems to favour them Barry, You'd think the floor would be theirs but no that's ours as are the windows etc which have to be all the same but are obsolete, so many of us have windows that don't open or won't close but can't change them.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Floorboards for anyone with a bit of DIY knowledge are pretty simple to replace. In fact I would not even put traditional floorboards down but would use chipboard flooring and then seal it to protect it from any future leaks from upstairs.
I have a neighbour like that an obnoxious couple and after the third flood in ten years through stupidity on their part not genuine accidents I said if it happens again not only would their insurance have to pay but I would sue them for damages and given their past history, all documented and photographed it could end up costing them a lot of money.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Floorboards for anyone with a bit of DIY knowledge are pretty simple to replace. In fact I would not even put traditional floorboards down but would use chipboard flooring and then seal it to protect it from any future leaks from upstairs.
I have a neighbour like that an obnoxious couple and after the third flood in ten years through stupidity on their part not genuine accidents I said if it happens again not only would their insurance have to pay but I would sue them for damages and given their past history, all documented and photographed it could end up costing them a lot of money.
Better still, use marine plywood. This is impregnated with varnish to make it waterproof. An extra layer of varnish on top wouldn't go amiss.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-11-2018, 01:47 PM

Thanks judd will look into that.
watsonwillam
Australia
watsonwillam is male 

27-11-2018, 07:32 AM

Redesigning the restroom may appear to be a fun undertaking, an approach to at long last make the extravagance space you've constantly needed in your home yet imagine a scenario where you discover you have to supplant the washroom sink or remove the floors because of water harm.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top