Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Mental health help

My husband had a huge wobble as you all know, but it was only when he was suicidal we managed to get him help. Mainly due to our church getting involved, the speaker when I went to him for help was an NHS psychologist and managed to jump the queue a bit, who you know seemed to be key to getting into the system.

I was just chatting with my nearest neighbour, and he was saying he has been trying to get his sister help and she has been put on a waiting list two years long, she is suicidal now 2 years is too long for her to wait.

Royals, government all say they want mental health to be prioritized but where is the help for a 43 year old lady who can't see any future and wants to end it all ?

It feels to me like mental health in this country is getting worse and worse, but funding less and less and it's critical now they address it, before we lose a lot more really decent people !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:12 PM

Re: Mental health help

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It feels to me like mental health in this country is getting worse and worse, but funding less and less and it's critical now they address it, before we lose a lot more really decent people !
This issue has been raised by numerous doctors and medical staff. Those of them who were brave enough accused the NHS and wider industry of expending ridiculous amounts of money and energy on Flu Vaccination campaigns and suggested that it would be better spent on mental health. I could link to articles but don't have them to hand.

Mental Health is a rising issue and not helped by the massive influx at the moment of psycho recreational drugs like Spice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Mental health problems are on the rise because the population is on the rise. Same for almost every other problem we have.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:51 PM

If someone is suicidal they should be able to go to A&E and get immediate help there. This is not how it's supposed to work but if there is no provision in the area that's what people are told to do. It's certainly what OH was told to do if he had a crisis in out of hours.

Once someone is under the care of a mental health team they become their responsibility and should be seen regularly. When I needed counselling the GP surgery arranged this and it was pretty quick. But then I didn't need a psychiatrist. If someone is suicidal they can be sectioned which isn't nice but means they will get the help they need.

The really big problem is that the Health and Social care act meant parts of mental health ended up with local authorities who then thought it was a good idea to close these. By this I mean day centres and charities that provided a massive support to people with problems.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This issue has been raised by numerous doctors and medical staff. Those of them who were brave enough accused the NHS and wider industry of expending ridiculous amounts of money and energy on Flu Vaccination campaigns and suggested that it would be better spent on mental health. I could link to articles but don't have them to hand.
Vaccination funds wouldn't make a difference to mental health provision. It costs a fortune. According to this report £11.9 billion was spent last year. That's still not enough. You'd need to double it to get anywhere near the amount needed. It takes a whole team to get one person back on their feet and they need to sustain that support, possibly for years.

https://fullfact.org/health/mental-h...nding-england/

The trouble isn't just due to money, but a lack of staff wanting to being able to work long term in the service. I spent months visiting OH in a secure mental health unit and the staff looked completely wiped out. It's really hard work and most of them were not born here because presumably people born here don't want the jobs or can't stick them for long. They have to deal with abuse and physical assault pretty much every day. It's a really horrible environment to visit never mind work there. I would always leave with a tension headache just from being in that place. Never mind having to advocate and push for better treatment. Because if someone has no support they just end up left to rot.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Vaccination funds wouldn't make a difference to mental health provision. It costs a fortune. According to this report £11.9 billion was spent last year. That's still not enough. You'd need to double it to get anywhere near the amount needed. It takes a whole team to get one person back on their feet and they need to sustain that support, possibly for years.

https://fullfact.org/health/mental-h...nding-england/

The trouble isn't just due to money, but a lack of staff wanting to being able to work long term in the service. I spent months visiting OH in a secure mental health unit and the staff looked completely wiped out. It's really hard work and most of them were not born here because presumably people born here don't want the jobs or can't stick them for long. They have to deal with abuse and physical assault pretty much every day. It's a really horrible environment to visit never mind work there. I would always leave with a tension headache just from being in that place. Never mind having to advocate and push for better treatment. Because if someone has no support they just end up left to rot.
Yes that's how we found the service, the people providing it are few and absolutely wiped out with fatigue. How they put up with some of the violence I can't fathom.

I agree A & E should be able to help but they have no one here to pass people onto, that's where the two year wait comes in they have to send people home to wait.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 04:12 PM

Hi

Six months wait here, then you get assessed, if you do not fit one of their three pathways, you are discharged.

The integrated teams have been scrapped, so mental health nurses no longer work with social care.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 06:14 AM

I remember the start of the mental health teams in the late /early 70's. Their formation was criticized by some professionals but they soldiered on and some hospital staff felt they had been left behind and the future mental health community services developed. How sad to here of their demise
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If someone is suicidal they should be able to go to A&E and get immediate help there. This is not how it's supposed to work but if there is no provision in the area that's what people are told to do. It's certainly what OH was told to do if he had a crisis in out of hours.
Have you been to an A&E lately?
There is nothing immediate about it unless you are in imminent danger of dying .
Are they suposed to have a phychatrist or councilor on tap?
I don't know what people are suposed to do
If someone intends to commit suicide sadly they will eventually succeed .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Mental health problems are on the rise because the population is on the rise. Same for almost every other problem we have.

Very true.
I wonder if we weren't bombarded too with adverts full of impossibly skinny women perfect families all grinning happily and the last must have gadget would things be different ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top