Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Re: Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

Oh for Christ sakes, Wikiman! Give it a bloody rest!
Of course diets work. The people who partake in them just need willpower that's all. Determination to carry out their aims and reach their goals.
Wind it in for once you buffoon!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 08:18 PM

lol soft lad. I'll post what I want thanks so don't fret your little head.

Diets are a poor choice and always will be. For the vast majority of people they simply don't work. They create a temporary change which then reverts back to norm. Most people put back on any weight lost and then usually more besides.

The statistics of Weight Watchers and Slimming World bear out these words. If their diets worked, people wouldn't need to keep coming back to slimming clubs time and time again.

Just eat the right foods and the body will adjust. Really simple. Well . . . for most people anyway!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Just eat less.
No fat people came out of Auchwitz.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep should be interesting but I've noticed before that mainstream TV usually doesn't tell the truth in regards to most things in this area. They rarely take on the sugar manufacturers for example.

Overall I find it depressing how many people start each New Year with these various resolutions to go on some form of diet. It's just a waste of effort.

Diets do not work. Period imho.

Any "diet" is by definition just a temporary eating change and as such will soon enough come to an end at which point normal service is resumed.

The focus is also completely wrong. Most dieters are looking to LOSE WEIGHT. What they should be doing is looking to be healthy. Weight loss is just a natural byproduct of being healthy.

The road to health (and thus subsequent body rebalancing of weight) lies in finally understanding and accepting that the body needs the right fuel to exist. Give it the right fuel and health follows.

It's a mind set we have to get into imho. Once you have that epiphany then it no longer matters what you "think" you like to eat and don't like to eat. It only matters to give the body the proper fuel it needs. It is just a machine like any other.

Many older people still bear their childhood food foibles which is pretty ridiculous. "Oh I can't eat green beans, I never touch 'em" and the like.

We have to put aside these mental discriminations and just give the body what it needs.

Diets will never ever work.

What is needed is this simple understanding of the body and the acceptance and determination to give it what it needs and to stop poisoning it with junk and harmful things.

That simple act rebalances everything, stops the body having to constantly expend valuable energy detoxing itself and instead lets it devote energy to regeneration and healing and streamlining. Health ensues and as part of that body weight is rebalanced.

The best resolution many people could make this New Year is to never go on a diet again.

Imho
Originally Posted by Realist ->
lol soft lad. I'll post what I want thanks so don't fret your little head.

Diets are a poor choice and always will be. For the vast majority of people they simply don't work. They create a temporary change which then reverts back to norm. Most people put back on any weight lost and then usually more besides.

The statistics of Weight Watchers and Slimming World bear out these words. If their diets worked, people wouldn't need to keep coming back to slimming clubs time and time again.

Just eat the right foods and the body will adjust. Really simple. Well . . . for most people anyway!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diet

There’s actually FOUR definitions of what diet is and Realist always uses the LAST one to define diet and ONLY uses that one. It’s the last definition , which is to reduce calories but the other three definitions do not include restricting calories at all.

First definition ..... food or drink regularly consumed . It gives an example of a diet of fruits and vegetables is considered a vegetarian diet.

Second definition ..... habitual nourishment .... links between diet and disease . ( meaning certain diets ( ways of eating ) can prevent disease ) which is what a nutritionist or dietician does. Note: that’s MY trade

Third definition .... the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason . An example is given ......a low sodium diet

Another example is a diabetic diet for those with diabetes

Another example is that I’m on a gluten free diet because I am celiac

NOTE: As a nutritionist, this is actually what we do for people; create a diet to match the person which rarely, if ever, is about reducing calories.

And finally the fourth definition which is the one Realist ALWAYS uses is :

A regimen of eating and drinking sparingly to reduce one’s weight and the example used is “ going ON a diet,” which often doesn’t work for various reasons.

Realist and I have argued THIS very point many times because he ALWAYS uses the LAST definition which is to ‘restrict calories’ to lose weight which isn’t actually the true meaning of diet yet he will argue the point until the cows come home.

IF this WAS the true definition of diet then dieticians and nutritionists wouldn’t be needed. We’d all be out of employment and obviously this isn’t true since they are used in clinics and hospitals. I worked for “ Sick Kids Hospital’ in Toronto and it definitely wasn’t to try and get kids to restrict their calories to lose weight.

My answer to Floydy’s question..YES
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 03:26 PM

Now I have found a place with trampolines.
I haven't done that, since I was at school.
But, I am going to start jumping my way fit this year.
So I will let you know how it goes.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 05:29 PM

And I apologize to Floydy for going on a tangent myself.
I’m a tad OCD too.

I’m really taking getting in shape seriously this year. I joined a huge gym which I feel somewhat intimidated by but I’m slowly getting used to being around more people which is probably a good thing. My husband is even more eager than I am and is going everyday the gym is open, which encourages me somewhat . After this holiday is over I will be better at sticking to my regular diet of food so should feel less stressed also.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Well said Bratti
Some on here may allow themselves to be easily led by Google's Master Manipulator of self-righteous smarm, but most decide for themselves.
I.e. we put it into practice and don't need a lecture from some pompous bore languising around a sailing club boring the pants off everybody.
Cock.
I don't think anyone really takes any notice Floydy.

Anyway, I did a one hour walk today. Hoorah!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't think anyone really takes any notice Floydy.

Anyway, I did a one hour walk today. Hoorah!
He's normally on my ignore list of one person mate, but he's contaminating my thread so I had to bollock him. I hate watching paint dry.

Well done on your walk. Nice to blow away those New Year's Eve festivities. All the best for 2019 bud
I went for a walk along Hornsea beach not far away away from me. It was blowing a gale but it sorted my hangover out.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 06:17 AM

Bratti, it definitely helps when everyone under the roof is motivating. I'm pleased you and your husband are fueling each other's workouts.

Sweetie Pie, are you looking at a full-sized trampoline? How extraordinary! Make sure you get all the safety accessories. Those things are super fun but they can be risky for back and neck injuries so get coaching. Leave it to you !

Longdogs, where did you go? What did you see? Why aren't you visiting on the daily exercise thread. It's not daily, really just where we check in. Good for you
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Bratti, it definitely helps when everyone under the roof is motivating. I'm pleased you and your husband are fueling each other's workouts.

Sweetie Pie, are you looking at a full-sized trampoline? How extraordinary! Make sure you get all the safety accessories. Those things are super fun but they can be risky for back and neck injuries so get coaching. Leave it to you !

Longdogs, where did you go? What did you see? Why aren't you visiting on the daily exercise thread. It's not daily, really just where we check in. Good for you
Hi Surfer.

We went to a small seaside place called Seaton which is in East Devon. As always, I thought we would be the only ones there but I was surprised to see that thousands had come out for a nice walk. Not too cold either so it was very enjoyable.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top