Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Re: Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

I don't agree that going on a diet is a waste of time.
Not if it leads you along the road of looking carefully at what you eat and being more discerning about your food choices.

Plus, if and when those first pounds start to drop off you may be so encouraged that you actually stick to the new regime.

Obviously I'm not including daft crazy gloop mess kind of diets!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I don't agree that going on a diet is a waste of time.
Not if it leads you along the road of looking carefully at what you eat and being more discerning about your food choices.

Plus, if and when those first pounds start to drop off you may be so encouraged that you actually stick to the new regime.

Obviously I'm not including daft crazy gloop mess kind of diets!
I hear what you are saying Ruthio but the evidence suggests that many people don't look carefully at their food choices and that any weight they lose is put back on with more besides.

I think in many cases dieters use the diet or slimming club leader as a kind of lazy tutor. Instead of the person properly educating themself in regards to what are good and bad foods and how they combine, they just give the problem to someone else to sort and so they just follow recipes they have been given.

An example would be a Slimming World suggested recipe for a pasta. It has an ingredient of "a jar of passata" but makes absolutely no attempt to ask the dieter to check the jar for sugar content. As a result dieters will likely just pick up any old jar and then will be creating a sugary pasta which will get them nowhere.

The other issue that arises from your latter comment of that most diets result in a few pounds being shed pretty quickly which is usually water loss. Most dieters know full well that this early weight loss quickly plateaus and subsequent weight is hard to shift and losing the odd 1/2 lb isn't then very encouraging when people are looking to lose stones.

I wish there were clubs that genuinely educated people about foods, proper nutrition advice, but that wouldn't make for a very profitable business model as people would attend once and then should never need to come back. Slimming clubs work on a model of repeating customers.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You appear to be desperately trying to find some way to assert that I've stated something other than what I said. Why would that be?
You flatter yourself I'm "desperate"... dream on. "Diets do not work. Period imho" is the most cretinous statement I have ever heard anyone make. No good attempting to qualify what you meant at this late stage. Backpedal all you like, you're wasting your time after that little gem and you lost whatever credibility you had remaining to you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
You flatter yourself I'm "desperate"... dream on. "Diets do not work. Period imho" is the most cretinous statement I have ever heard anyone make. No good attempting to qualify what you meant at this late stage. Backpedal all you like, you're wasting your time after that little gem and you lost whatever credibility you had remaining to you.
Your comments are utterly ridiculous Tachyon. My statements were patently clear and I have no need whatsoever to back peddle. I stand by them 100%.

No more exchanges on this. You're not worth it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 06:26 PM

My exercise consists of walking a some miles at a brisk pace a few times a week, digging the allotment and bike riding. I have to admit to buying an e-bike but heck! I am knocking on a bit now. I'd still ride the mountain bike if going off road but those rides don't happen so frequently these days.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 06:30 PM

My neighbour's doctor told her now she's over 50, she should exercie more and get more fresh air.

So she said she will drive more with the car window open.

Alright alright, . . I'm going . .
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 07:17 PM

No, I'm correcting YOUR sloppy terminology, hence your backpedalling now. In essence, you just like the sound of your own voice.
So well stated. A change in what one eats certainly can make a huge difference to weight loss and exercise routine. I lost a huge amount of weight by changing what I ate and exercising, mainly just walking my dogs.

Correct terminology when debating any subject is crucial.
Really good point.

I’ve increased my exercise program by going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week and it’s really making a big difference
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 07:59 PM

My exercise machine.....deploys me several times a day.

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
My exercise machine.....deploys me several times a day.

I have two of those exercise machines
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I have two of those exercise machines
Collies?

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top