Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Re: 9 ways to save the NHS

I know im digressing but thought it relevant to changes needed re out of hours doctors

I visited a friend whos husband was very poorly , hed gone downhill 24 hrs eatlier, i was concerned yet didnt want to ring 999 as i felt it was not life threatening but he needed to be seen quickly . I rang at midday , his wife spoke to them , they said a doctor would call, i waited with her till 3pm and no phone call , after i left she rang them again , later at 6 pm she rang them again , after another phone call the doctor finally arrived at 10.30pm at night 10 hrs after my first phone call.

Her hubby had a uti , he was very confused and unwell and so needed medication . I was shocked they had to wait 10 hrs .

I wonder if there was only 1 doctor on that saturday for our area. Shocking
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Our out of hours calls are done by a french doctor comes over from France for his shifts, it's very hit and miss that he will find the address he is sent to. I believe he covers several GP surgeries too not just ours. He's an improvement on the German chap didn't speak English though.

Walk in clinic is great if you can get to it during the hours it's open.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:49 PM

The only good idea on the list is reinstating nursing bursaries. None of the others will "save" the NHS. Having an option for email communication would be good, but some sick people cannot use computers or don't have access to one.

Introducing missed appointment charges should be countered with payments to patients who turn up on time and have to wait for hours to be seen and for appointments that are rearranged at the last minute.

You'd find that missed appointment charges would never be paid and it would cost too much to administer such a system.

The rest of the ideas are not going to help a system that cannot seem to recruit enough staff already. It's impossible to get an appointment at the GP so why would you want to pay extra?

Walk in centres and minor injury units are a good idea but many have been closed as they are expensive to run.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Someone I know had a bad fall resulting in several broken bones. She was taken to hospital in London and there she stayed for the next three weeks awaiting a scan. Eventually, she was transferred by ambulance to another hospital 25 miles away which was closer to where she lives. The very next day, she was taken back to the original hospital in London, by ambulance for a scan. After the scan, she was taken back, by ambulance, to the other hospital.

If that's not a waste of money I don't know what is.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:22 PM

I really believe that a central purchasing for the NHS would prove much more powerful when dealing with pharmaceuticals and outside contractors. At the moment they can charge one Trust £30 for certain hospital items and £130 to another. It's ridiculous! Until this happens, taxpayers money will always be wasted as the NHS treats funds like a bottomless pit, more always available if they run out.

Also, overseas health visitors. Too many times Trusts are too bloomin lazy to put checks into effect to ensure those not entitled to health care in our hospitals, must pay for it. No wonder the UK is often seen as a soft touch when hospitals are too lazy to put checks into effect for what is needed,. One should look at the USA, you try even being admitted without the necessary proof of being able to get care. It really is disgraceful here the way the system is abused by people travelling in from all over the world for free treatment in our hospitals, and nothing is done to stop it.

Just imagine the savings that could be made with a powerful central purchasing centre and a system wherebhy proper charges were made for overseas health visitors!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I really believe that a central purchasing for the NHS would prove much more powerful when dealing with pharmaceuticals and outside contractors. At the moment they can charge one Trust £30 for certain hospital items and £130 to another. It's ridiculous! Until this happens, taxpayers money will always be wasted as the NHS treats funds like a bottomless pit, more always available if they run out.

Also, overseas health visitors. Too many times Trusts are too bloomin lazy to put checks into effect to ensure those not entitled to health care in our hospitals, must pay for it. No wonder the UK is often seen as a soft touch when hospitals are too lazy to put checks into effect for what is needed,. One should look at the USA, you try even being admitted without the necessary proof of being able to get care. It really is disgraceful here the way the system is abused by people travelling in from all over the world for free treatment in our hospitals, and nothing is done to stop it.

Just imagine the savings that could be made with a powerful central purchasing centre and a system wherebhy proper charges were made for overseas health visitors!

This. ^^^^^
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Yes central ordering would be good I also think it should be a really national service, it shouldn't matter where you live you should get a similar service but at the moment you can get IVF in some areas and not in others, waits for knees are years some places, weeks in others. It should be an equal service where ever you are IMO

Waste is huge still too, I can't tell you how many times I've been offered stuff pilfered from the hospital disposable gloves particularly. I always say no but that doesn't stop others saying yes please.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-12-2018, 05:29 PM

See this is what I can never understand about this Country. The problem with over charging for supplies has been going on for years, so why has someone, somewhere not stepped in and sorted it out?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 05:36 PM

I actually know of two people who have become millionaires supplying the NHS.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I actually know of two people who have become millionaires supplying the NHS.
That doesn't surprise me. No doubt Tony B Liar is another one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top