Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Re: Obesity excuses

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
All these super fat people have enablers .
If they can't move out of their rooms how can they eat six meals a day .
In many ways their loved ones are killing them .

I agree, Muddy.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It is calories in and calories out
I don't personally agree. I here that adage many times and in truth I think it's totally over-simplified and hides a multitude of other factors.

Take simple sugar for example.

You can eat a teaspoon of sugar and you would know exactly how many calories that represents.

However you can eat that sugar with or without a quantity of fibre. e.g. drinking apple juice rather than eating an apple.

The person eating sugar alone will find that the body metabolises that sugar into energy almost immediately and if the body has no immediate use for that energy then it will be effectively stored away as fat. (This in itself is a simplification of the actual chemical processes)

The person eating the sugar with fibre will find that the body does NOT metabolise the sugar immediately. It happens over a protracted period during which time ordinary body functions and movement will use it up. So not exercise but just ordinary body life support and walking around the house and so on.

So, same calories in, but very different impacts to the body.

The other problem with so called "calorie counting" and associated diets is a person has absolutely no way of knowing how many calories they are using at any given time of the day. In particular at night which is when people lose a lot of weight through respiration and perspiration.

Life is a balance, everything is a balance. Tip that balance and things go awry.

If we eat bad foods we put too many calories into our bodies, particularly sugars with usually little fibre content. The average lifestyle is one which doesn't need the immediate energy those foods produce and so people get fat.

The notion of then doing exercises and long walks to somehow try to counter those negative effects is, to my mind, rather ridiculous. The answer is surely to simply eat better foods and eat them in the RIGHT COMBINATION.
That way the energy release is slow and gradual and an ordinary lifestyle will use up that energy. No need for special exercises, jogging etc.

It is for me, just a matter of balance.

We each have to determine the kind of lifestyle we want. Many like a low activity, sedentary lifestyle, which TBH is fine. But if that's the case then one needs to eat the volume of food that such a lifestyle requires, which is a small amount of food. Being a couch potato doesn't require a lot of energy!

People who have a specific need for a very active lifestyle, like say hard grafting landscape gardeners or factory workers lifting heavy boxes and constantly on the move, will need larger amounts of energy but will also need it throughout the day. So again the right types of food in the right combination are needed to provide that steady release of energy. Same for sports players too during their long matches.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 07:35 PM

effing ell he's writing anovver book!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:05 PM

All these super fat people have enablers .
If they can't move out of their rooms how can they eat six meals a day .
In many ways their loved ones are killing them .
I agree. There are some people with thyroid issues but there are medicines and supplements for those. Since actions speak louder than words if you follow the actions of these people you usually find that they are doing emotional eating and using food to pacify themselves just like an alcoholic uses alcohol.

Unfortunately Muddy is right that these people often have enablers. People who would rather feed them than help them because it’s easier for them. In my opinion , it’s a form of self indulgence that becomes addictive both in substance & habit.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:32 PM

Easy guys...... breathe!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
We each have to determine the kind of lifestyle we want. Many like a low activity, sedentary lifestyle, which TBH is fine. But if that's the case then one needs to eat the volume of food that such a lifestyle requires, which is a small amount of food. Being a couch potato doesn't require a lot of energy!

People who have a specific need for a very active lifestyle, like say hard grafting landscape gardeners or factory workers lifting heavy boxes and constantly on the move, will need larger amounts of energy but will also need it throughout the day. So again the right types of food in the right combination are needed to provide that steady release of energy. Same for sports players too during their long matches.
You have left out the differences between individual metabolism, hormones, age, medical conditions etc. The protein/carb mix also makes a big difference in how much food settles into a spare tyre.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I agree. There are some people with thyroid issues but there are medicines and supplements for those. Since actions speak louder than words if you follow the actions of these people you usually find that they are doing emotional eating and using food to pacify themselves just like an alcoholic uses alcohol.

Unfortunately Muddy is right that these people often have enablers. People who would rather feed them than help them because it’s easier for them. In my opinion , it’s a form of self indulgence that becomes addictive both in substance & habit.
The super dooper obese who have feeders are pretty rare. But there is a definite connection between serious overeating and the emotions.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

05-01-2019, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You have left out the differences between individual metabolism, hormones, age, medical conditions etc. The protein/carb mix also makes a big difference in how much food settles into a spare tyre.
Good point Annie.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Well I have that fat gene...I'm sure of it...little buggars they are
Seriously I think some people do put weight on much more easily than others...a good pal of mine is five foot nothing and a size 8 she eats like a horse.... truly she never puts weight on..... not fair really. ( I trip her up when she's not looking) ......joking ....
Don't you just love these people
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:38 AM

Don't you just love these people
Don't we just.....I worked with her for years she was my business partner...I would have a small tin of tuna and a sliced tomato for lunch she would have fish and chips and a Mars bar.....tuts!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top