Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 06:20 PM

Kit for inspecting sensor on DSLR cameras

Now this won't apply to most on here but may do for some.

I used a Loupe for inspecting the camera sensor after the mirror is locked up.

A loupe

This goes in place of the lens

And when switched on the sensor can be inspected for and dust/dirt particles on it

Below is looking through the loupe to the sensor

This makes cleaning so much easier with the correct swabs etc than other methods where everything is back to front and upside down
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Re: Kit for inspecting sensor on DSLR cameras

How do you access the sensor with the loupe in place?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 07:27 PM

you don't is he short answer, that is just to see where the dust is. lift it off to clean sensor then back on again to check. it is not fixed to the camera just rests on it. This is why in picture 2 it shows how it rests on the opening.
I suspect you thought it actually fixed to the camera like a lens, no just covers for inspection.

Picture 3 shows how easy it is to see any dust spots exactly where they are on the sensor

As I mentioned before there are other ways to check but so long winded I wouldn't even bother.

That is to take a white sheet of paper and photograph it. Then enlarge the paper photo and scroll around it looking for dust spots in the computer image.

Then you have to reverse everything to find the dust actually on the sensor. Usually you have to do this several times before you clean the right area on the sensor.
that is when you have the aperture wide open as well

Believe me I have tried it that way and if you have half a day spare you might manage it in the end.
it is a right pain in he bum doing it this way

the actual cleaning and how is up to the person doing the cleaning, but whatever one does DO NOT USE COTTON BUDS

Does this answer your question?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-01-2019, 07:56 PM

My first line of defence to get rid of dust is using one of these called Artic Butterfly, below is the 724 version

Ok how does it work?

when switched on it spins at high speed causing antic static after about 5 seconds of the spin cycle. so switch off and pass it gently over sensor and will most times attract the dust to it
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-01-2019, 08:06 PM

If that fails then it is down to swabs and sensor cleaning fluid

Couple of pointers

I prefer the round type as more precise, if using the blade type get one for you camera as they can differ in width.

I don't care what others, do but I find if you have to go down the route of a wet wipe the art is not getting too much fluid on the swab.

I find the best way is to put a drop on a surface and dip the swap into it. This way you can control how wet the swab gets, over soaking and the devils own job to dry out the sensor with a new clean swab

Finally I absolutely hate rocket blowers so often mentioned.
Yes I have one and tried it out. Conclusion is it disturbs more dust withing the camera body. Far better with the butterfly
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Why clean you own camera sensor?

Well I am not prepared to spend £40 as a starting price and not having the camera for several days while sent away for cleaning. Doing it myself I know it is cleaned and done properly, not some erk diving in and making a mess of it.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Yes, I just wondered if there was some slot or opening on the side of the loupe to allow the insertion of a swab.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
you don't is he short answer, that is just to see where the dust is. lift it off to clean sensor then back on again to check. it is not fixed to the camera just rests on it. This is why in picture 2 it shows how it rests on the opening.
I suspect you thought it actually fixed to the camera like a lens, no just covers for inspection.

Picture 3 shows how easy it is to see any dust spots exactly where they are on the sensor

As I mentioned before there are other ways to check but so long winded I wouldn't even bother.

That is to take a white sheet of paper and photograph it. Then enlarge the paper photo and scroll around it looking for dust spots in the computer image.

Then you have to reverse everything to find the dust actually on the sensor. Usually you have to do this several times before you clean the right area on the sensor.
that is when you have the aperture wide open as well

Believe me I have tried it that way and if you have half a day spare you might manage it in the end.
it is a right pain in he bum doing it this way

the actual cleaning and how is up to the person doing the cleaning, but whatever one does DO NOT USE COTTON BUDS

I spent £35 at Jessops getting my sensor cleaned- it came back worse than it went in and J's wouldn't admit it. Shame on them.
I got excellent service at Wilkinsons who knew what they were doing.

I bought a sensor cleaning kit for £23 and clean the sensor myself -no problems at all.
A blower cleans most dust, a very fine brush on anything the blower doesn't shift. there are a range of liquids for anything else. The kit includes lens and general camera cleaning items.

Oh as above- checking for dust -I go manual and a high ISO setting to photo the plain white paper, then look at the magnified image. The position of dust on the image is inverted on the sensor.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 05:25 PM

I spent £35 at Jessops getting my sensor cleaned- it came back worse than it went in and J's wouldn't admit it. Shame on them.
I got excellent service at Wilkinsons who knew what they were doing. Sensor photos before and after.

I bought a sensor cleaning kit for £23 and clean the sensor myself -no problems at all.
A blower cleans most dust, a very fine brush on anything the blower doesn't shift. there are a range of liquids for anything else.
All the cleaning brushes and swabs are high quality and free of loose fibres. I keep everything sealed and only use in a clean environment.( As Realspeed says DON'T USE COTTON BUDS or anything that is not designed for the job).
The kit includes lens/general camera cleaning items.

The kit doesn't include a loup but a slightly more expensive kit does. I always keep the sensor facing down to avoid air-borne dust anyway so wouldn't use the loupe

Oh as checking for dust -I go manual, de-focus and a high ISO setting to photo the plain white paper, then look at the magnified image. The position of dust on the image is inverted on the sensor.

The black pen like object has an excellent lens cleaning head and a fine brush for cleaning the crevices on the outside of the camera.

For me a damn good buy as I am always changing lenses and risking dust on the sensor.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-01-2019, 09:19 PM

I got my kit from Focus on imaging at the NEC as the company was back then

Not cheap but then again visible dust products are expensive

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top