Join for free
Page 23 of 28 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

That would not work anyway because aside from the fact that the EU would not agree to it, we would lose all our concessions. They should just revoke article 50 for now and work out a plan on how to leave in the future. But the fact is that all the countries in Europe that are not EU members trade on EU terms and accept all the stuff we don't want.

We don't have sufficient competitive advantage as a country to be a stand alone economy like the US or China. We are too big and too complex to be any sort of tax haven or party island.

Too many media players are coming up with half-baked ideas on how the future will look. That kind of thinking is why we can't seem to plan properly for projects like HS2 etc. Never mind something of this stature.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Maybe we've reached the stage where some Lateral Thinking might be needed.

At the moment we're going nowhere!
I am all for lateral thinking, but we need to enact the decision we already made before we get too far from the idea at all. One thing no one talks about is if we stay in is the EU what it was when we voted leave because I see it racing into a federalism and racing forward into things we were assured would never happen. I remember being laughed at when we mentioned an army, well was I so wrong looking at it now ? The remainers were adamant no army !

Lateral thinking for me would have been at the start of the process to have a proper leaving committee who dealt with it, get the remainers out of the way so we can leave. Never take leaving with no deal off the table it's madness to cripple the negotiators in that way.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It always makes me laugh when Britain complains about a country being "undemocratic"
Well, I suppose that your being anti-British you would find us highly amusing, our being governed by inept donkeys.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
But Commons Leader Andrea Leadsom hit back, telling the Telegraph that colleagues who want to stop no deal wrongly 'think they know better' than voters, but will 'fail our country' and weaken the UK's negotiating hand.
Ms Leadsom said: 'Parliamentarians are the servants of the people – and the people gave us a very direct answer to a direct question. We must leave the EU.
'No deal is not the desired outcome, but it would be incompetent for any responsible government to rule it out, and there are very good reasons for that. If we rule out no deal, we can forget about the EU taking us seriously. We weaken our negotiating hand.'
Ms Leadsom said people campaigning to block no deal were 'conveniently ignoring' the fact that Parliament had passed legislation which meant the UK will leave the EU on March 29 whether there is a deal or not.
She said: 'It's the legal default position between the UK and the EU. If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail our country.
'The will of the people is not something that should be redefined by parliamentarians who think they know better, and want to pursue their own agenda.
'Anyone who wants to cheer the optimistic future we have ahead of us is worthy of our support, not our derision.'

PM leaves EU in 'disbelief' as she fails to make new Brexit demands
https://mol.im/a/6609163
I remember when CaMoron ran away from his responsibilities, some of us were discussing how Andrea Leadsom might be the replacement PM.

Then we found ourselves with Treason May!

Oh, how different things might have been if we had been right.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I am all for lateral thinking, but we need to enact the decision we already made before we get too far from the idea at all. One thing no one talks about is if we stay in is the EU what it was when we voted leave because I see it racing into a federalism and racing forward into things we were assured would never happen. I remember being laughed at when we mentioned an army, well was I so wrong looking at it now ? The remainers were adamant no army !

Lateral thinking for me would have been at the start of the process to have a proper leaving committee who dealt with it, get the remainers out of the way so we can leave. Never take leaving with no deal off the table it's madness to cripple the negotiators in that way.
If they get "No Deal" off the table, and then use their new right to shift the leave date back, that will be Brexit over and done.

We have, maybe, a couple of weeks left to play some cards - but (1) we don't know what to play (2) Nobody has dealt us any cards.(3) Our players do not want to win.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I remember when CaMoron ran away from his responsibilities, some of us were discussing how Andrea Leadsom might be the replacement PM.

Then we found ourselves with Treason May!

Oh, how different things might have been if we had been right.
Looking back on the time when May got elected, it is fairly clear that this Remain Biassed Parliament would always be looking to place Remainers in all the positions of influence.

To have May putting on a Brexit "Face", in order to get elected, was a gift to the Remainers.

We are now seeing others, who seek the PM role, talking the talk, and even walking the walk, but are they sincere?

We'll see.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 03:25 PM

Hi

This forum is just an example of the divisions in the country.

We will be split for years.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If they get "No Deal" off the table, and then use their new right to shift the leave date back, that will be Brexit over and done.

We have, maybe, a couple of weeks left to play some cards - but (1) we don't know what to play (2) Nobody has dealt us any cards.(3) Our players do not want to win.
One and two we could manage to find a way but three is the stumbling block and has been all along IMO
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

This forum is just an example of the divisions in the country.

We will be split for years.
We have been split for many years before the EU.

It's in our nature!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We have been split for many years before the EU.

It's in our nature!
I'm not sure I disagree we are and always have been split in many ways. IMO it's actually quite healthy in some ways as it keeps us all on our toes. What isn't good is if we let splits fester and some people have done that over brexit and lost families and friends. That can't ever be healthy.

Page 23 of 28 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top