Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:14 AM

Rosie Winterton

Rosie Winterton is the elected labour MP for the constituency where I live. I did not vote for her I hasten to add!

She turns out to be one of the 200 or so MP's who voted to accept May's deal. She also voted to remain a member of the EU. She was elected to represent the majority of her constituents in parliament.

What I can't understand is; As her constituents voted overwhelmingly to exit the EU she is not representing the wishes of the people who voted for her....

Why is she still there?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Re: Rosie Winterton

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Rosie Winterton is the elected labour MP for the constituency where I live. I did not vote for her I hasten to add!

She turns out to be one of the 200 or so MP's who voted to accept May's deal. She also voted to remain a member of the EU. She was elected to represent the majority of her constituents in parliament.

What I can't understand is; As her constituents voted overwhelmingly to exit the EU she is not representing the wishes of the people who voted for her....

Why is she still there?
Good question.

Our elected MP was Philip Lee who resigned from the Cabinet, just after the referendum, on the basis that , as a Remainer his "conscience" prevented him from supporting the majority of his voters, who voted Leave.

Needless to say, he has gone to the back benches and has been supporting Remain plots, ever since.

Oh! And he is still taking his salary, as an MP. even though he does not represent his majority any more.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Clearly there are quite a few MPs no longer represent their constituencies and are well out of touch with them. Think they know better and are representing themselves and their jobs not the people voted for them. This IMO is what happens when you don't get to know your MP when we vote here, the only way to get any knowledge about those wanting the job is go on line and look at their lives, we get no visits from them but even if we did would we know them enough to vote for them ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:44 AM

They belong to the totalitarian regime and so are just doing what they have been told to do.

The notion of representing a constituency is an illusion, as is the notion of democracy. Time to wake up.

We have no real choices. The system is rigged, fake, an illusion.

BrExit is the catalyst that is proving this to everyone and which will herald a revolution. Some level of civil war or unrest is inevitable. Prepare for it imho.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Cheers Ted, Julie and Realist.
In a labour stronghold it has always been a waste of time voting, although I still go through the motions, and convince all my family and friends to do the same...

When UKIP came on the scene they attracted many labour and tory voters from round here, and the labourites were so worried that they altered the boundaries so as to mix the voters up a bit (council estates with private houses) and it worked in labours favour.

Somebody was so impressed with Rosie they gave her a 'Dameship'.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:58 AM

We do same here in a safe tory seat we always vote but I know my vote doesn't really count for anything. Never has.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We do same here in a safe tory seat we always vote but I know my vote doesn't really count for anything. Never has.
Realist is probably right Julie, not much democracy left in this country anymore...

We usually have an independent candidate standing who knows the problems in this area and is willing to address them. He works locally and is easy to find and discuss matters with, and he doesn't have to tow any party line.....I can't understand why he doesn't get more support.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Realist is probably right Julie, not much democracy left in this country anymore...

We usually have an independent candidate standing who knows the problems in this area and is willing to address them. He works locally and is easy to find and discuss matters with, and he doesn't have to tow any party line.....I can't understand why he doesn't get more support.
I think the problem is without the two parties behind him people probably don't see he can do much once he's elected. We have a broken system. It worked while we were all uneducated and needed someone to travel many days in coaches to get to London to represent us, but now with instant access to vote on things ourselves, with education and knowledge about our own areas we could have a much more representative parliament. But wresting that power from the politicians isn't going to be easy.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:43 PM

This position was perfectly illustrated by this short clip from Question Time, posted on YouTube on 28th October 2016

'What part of democracy do you not understand?'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
This position was perfectly illustrated by this short clip from Question Time, posted on YouTube on 28th October 2016

'What part of democracy do you not understand?'
You forgot to put the clip in the post zulu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top