Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Re: Really rough pubs

My mates and me used to frequent a pub in Southend called The Spanish Armada. It had everything - Punks, skinheads, rockers, prostitutes, gay cowboys and lesbians. we used to buy our pints, sit at the back and watch the old bill break up the fights every half hour.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A pub close to us was horrible. Really horrible. Your feet stuck to the floor and you didn't dare sit on the seats to avoid baby puke.

It has been transformed into a gastro pub. With a five star reputation.
That's progress for you.

(providing we're not talking five star gastroenteritis)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My mates and me used to frequent a pub in Southend called The Spanish Armada. It had everything - Punks, skinheads, rockers, prostitutes, gay cowboys and lesbians. we used to buy our pints, sit at the back and watch the old bill break up the fights every half hour.
My kinda boozer ...or it was back in the 70s. Live music to! Did you see Dr Feelgood by any chance?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
My kinda boozer ...or it was back in the 70s. Live music to! Did you see Dr Feelgood by any chance?
Probably around '79. Don't remember seeing Feelgood though. I did have a cowboy try to Feel me up if that counts. Is it too late to get him done for sexual assault?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:04 PM

No I can’t say that I have thank goodness
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:44 PM

Well it's half time interval for the band now. A tribute act called Absolute Bowie. Very good they are too.
Obviously I'm not at that dingy pub anymore and I didn't have to fight, so that's a relief! Had a few beers and listened to some classic Bowie from the early 70's. Later stuff to come soon.
Tomorrow I'm here again for the same band (incidentally Britain's best Bowie tribute act) when they'll be doing the 80's and beyond.
I'll put some pics from YT on in the morning if poss.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sounds like a true rockin' bar that LD. Never seen Feelgood either but apparently they still tour with one original member. Wilko's doing great on his own though after his cancer.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-01-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Well, make sure you get up the front and if needs be, keep your ear pressed firmly on the speaker!
I'm doing okay actually, Art thanks
I went by myself tonight and I'm in the middle at the sound desk. Nice barrier to lean on and a Marshall amp box for my beer.
The ears could be better but the band look great at least
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:12 PM

We had five such establishments, in less than a square mile.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Well it's half time interval for the band now. A tribute act called Absolute Bowie. Very good they are too.
Obviously I'm not at that dingy pub anymore and I didn't have to fight, so that's a relief! Had a few beers and listened to some classic Bowie from the early 70's. Later stuff to come soon.
Tomorrow I'm here again for the same band (incidentally Britain's best Bowie tribute act) when they'll be doing the 80's and beyond.
I'll put some pics from YT on in the morning if poss.

Oh I'm jealous Floydy! Lucky you! Pity you can't record them for us to hear how good they are

But back on topic.... yes, I've been in a couple of grot pubs, but not for social reasons.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top