Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Re: Customs Union - just what is the problem?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was responding to :

"All the while the ordinary electorate were being ignored, preached at, were frustrated and angry ......and losing out!

Our politicians thought THEY knew best and the ordinary electorate, frustrated and angry as they were should just put up and shut up.

Then we had a referendum......."

I really don't understand how brexit will be the magic solution to all our political ills. Whatever you think of Eurocrats, British politicians are no different and no more likely to make all voters happy.
Not a magic solution , but removes a layer of remote, unelected and unaccountable politicians who do not have British interests at heart.

The next target is, indeed, The H.o.Lords......That's a way down the line , however.

It's funny that you say you think an EU army and ever closer integration is a bad idea......and yet that is exactly what you would get if you stayed in the EU.

The EU is on an trajectory that is inevitable and unstoppable. The decision making process is so convoluted that it can't change course and can't compromise.
You're either All In......or OUT !

I agree that the career politicians of 2018 are of a poor standard and dubious conviction and morals........How do you think it was so easy for UKIP to gain such an influence.

UKIP weren't the problem, they were merely a symptom of a deeper malaise that still exists...

The wider electorate recognised this and acted in the only way they can........by sticking it to the Man.

You have to ask yourself why you are so compliant and beaten that you are not with the majority of the People on this......

I guess, like you, Annie, there must have been some African slaves on American plantations who were prepared to accept the status quo, and even defend their enslavers....After all they had work, food and shelter!!!!

For some slaves that wasn't enough....and watching the plantation owners grow fat on their labour and their suffering was too much to bear...... They fought back and they tried to escape.

Was it easy for former slaves after Independence?
No.
Was it worth the struggle?
Yes.
Did the former slaves get the support they deserved?
No.

I have similar feelings regarding Brexit!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 08:53 AM

I'm still at a loss to understand the logic.

The arguments for leaving the customs union don't make any sense, particularly as we don't have the skills and ability to negotiate all these trade deals virtually overnight and appear to have gone in completely ignorant of how difficult and long-winded the process will be.

There appears to be an assumption that all these countries will somehow give us the same trade deals they would give the large EU block and that these will be on more favourable terms. There is a complete denial of reality. The arrogance is beyond belief.

When I have asked on this thread "why are we doing this?", I am told that it is because we do not trust our own government.

It is unsurprising that this was sent back by the House of Lords with a clear message of "must try harder". Their job is to advise the airheads in the government on how not to lead the country into disaster.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Not a magic solution , but removes a layer of remote, unelected and unaccountable politicians who do not have British interests at heart.

The next target is, indeed, The H.o.Lords......That's a way down the line , however.

It's funny that you say you think an EU army and ever closer integration is a bad idea......and yet that is exactly what you would get if you stayed in the EU.

The EU is on an trajectory that is inevitable and unstoppable. The decision making process is so convoluted that it can't change course and can't compromise.
You're either All In......or OUT !

I agree that the career politicians of 2018 are of a poor standard and dubious conviction and morals........How do you think it was so easy for UKIP to gain such an influence.

UKIP weren't the problem, they were merely a symptom of a deeper malaise that still exists...

The wider electorate recognised this and acted in the only way they can........by sticking it to the Man.

You have to ask yourself why you are so compliant and beaten that you are not with the majority of the People on this......

I guess, like you, Annie, there must have been some African slaves on American plantations who were prepared to accept the status quo, and even defend their enslavers....After all they had work, food and shelter!!!!

For some slaves that wasn't enough....and watching the plantation owners grow fat on their labour and their suffering was too much to bear...... They fought back and they tried to escape.

No.
Yes.
No.

An emotive argument. But totally irrelevant to this thread or to Brexit.

If you do want to use slavery as a metaphor then you need to accept the fact that even 100 years after emancipation former slaves were still being oppressed.

But the EU is not "enslaving" anyone any more than we are all "enslaved" in a societal structure. That's the price you pay for civilisation.

Anyway you still haven't made any points that are directly relevant to why we need to leave the customs union and the actual benefits this will bring. It appears that you are saying there will be no actual benefits and that it's motivated purely by emotion rather than any hard facts.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Hi

There is no way i want to remain in the EU in it's present form.

That is why I voted to leave.

I am quite happy with a Norway or Swiss Deal.

Both Countries have a much higher standard of living than we do here in the UK.

That is what I want for us, a better place to live, no more integration, no EU Army, no EURO.

I am at a complete loss to understand why the Hard Line Brexiteers are ruling this out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There is no way i want to remain in the EU in it's present form.

That is why I voted to leave.

I am quite happy with a Norway or Swiss Deal.

Both Countries have a much higher standard of living than we do here in the UK.

That is what I want for us, a better place to live, no more integration, no EU Army, no EURO.

I am at a complete loss to understand why the Hard Line Brexiteers are ruling this out.
While I voted remain (and I don't believe we would be forced into any army, euro etc any more than we have been in the past), I would also accept a Swiss/Norway type arrangement and am equally at a loss as to why there is so much opposition to it.

Yes you have to pay something and yes you have to accept the rules, but that's the nature of trade. There are too many egos at play.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

No.
Yes.
No.

Well said!

An excellent comparison.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 10:15 AM

When I have asked on this thread "why are we doing this?", I am told that it is because we do not trust our own government.

It is unsurprising that this was sent back by the House of Lords with a clear message of "must try harder". Their job is to advise the airheads in the government on how not to lead the country into disaster.
Yes, that's very true.
I certainly don't trust Compo and the Loonies.
I also don't trust Theresa the Appeaser, for obvious reason.

As for the Lards, many of them have personal financial interests in the EU. Then, of course, there is a disproportionate number of Labour and especially Limp Dem members in the upper house. Thanks, Tony B Liar.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that's very true.
I certainly don't trust Compo and the Loonies.
I also don't trust Theresa the Appeaser, for obvious reason.

As for the Lards, many of them have personal financial interests in the EU. Then, of course, there is a disproportionate number of Labour and especially Limp Dem members in the upper house. Thanks, Tony B Liar.
why are you so against the customs union?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-05-2018, 07:09 PM

why are you so against the customs union?
Quite simply because we will still be tied into the EU and be obliged to follow their diktats. Certainly, we would not be able to agree our own trade deals with countries outside the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-labour-europe

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-sitting-duck/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-05-2018, 08:55 PM

Being a true Brexiter appears to be like being a vegan. A true vegan will not allow their food to be served on dishes that have been within a mile of meat. They will watch where they step for insects and will spend sleepless nights worrying about the bacteria they killed washing their hands. Some wear masks so they don't accidentally kills flies by breathing them in.

In the same way a true hard Brexiter cannot bear for us to be contaminated by anything vaguely EU.

Unfortunately the rest of us are either meat eaters (pro EU), meat reducers (remain in all but name & stay in single market with free movement), pescatarians (stay in customs union), Veggies (soft brexit, long transition)

Unfortunately Vegans don't realise they are harming the planet & wildlife just as much with their demands for quinoa and almond milk. Plus they are iron deficient and need a bit of feeding up with some tasty soft brexit.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top