Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

18-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Re: My Grandson Started Walking Three Days Ago But...

I'm a Nursery Nurse and have looked after many children.
He is still very young and it's not unusual for some children to be later than others in walking and talking.
Boys in particular are notoriously late talkers, one little lad I cared for, was nearly two before he said his first words.
He will develop at the right pace for himself. It's always easy to compare one child with another but the fact is, they are all individuals and no one is the same. X
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by purple lizard ->
i'm a nursery nurse and have looked after many children.
He is still very young and it's not unusual for some children to be later than others in walking and talking.
Boys in particular are notoriously late talkers, one little lad i cared for, was nearly two before he said his first words.
He will develop at the right pace for himself. It's always easy to compare one child with another but the fact is, they are all individuals and no one is the same. X
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Our Son and Daughter walked at months, fortunately they came back.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
You must not lecture your daughter Gravitas. That would be an awful thing to do to a mum. The main thing for your grandson at this stage of his life is to feel secure and loved.
I agree.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Purple lizard ->
Boys in particular are notoriously late talkers, one little lad I cared for, was nearly two before he said his first words.
Well said PL I agree.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Maybe he has nothing to walk for.
Stop worrying Gravitas and be patient. If he has done it once he will do it again. Walking is nothing to do with class /social status, although a lot of parents and grandparents try to make it so and get competitive unnecessarily. There is no grand race to see which baby walks first. I have two children. The eldest walked at 10 months (but she was a girl ) and the boy walked at about 15 months. He was a magnificent crawler and got everywhere on his hands and feet - just like a little chimp. Upstairs and downstairs going backwards down - no problem. He managed to get his sister to do just about everything for him and there was no impetus or real need for him to walk upright. He even carried stuff about in his mouth, rather than let his hands leave the floor - primitive or what. But you should see him now.
Clarrrss comes into when it comes to speaking and being able to follow instructions.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:03 PM

You must not lecture your daughter Gravitas. That would be an awful thing to do to a mum. The main thing for your grandson at this stage of his life is to feel secure and loved.
a) I try not to sound as if I am "lecturing". But it is natural to pass on my wisdom in this matter - as one would do naturally when chatting.

b) Mum has mentioned how the little fella has angrily pulled her hair to get her attention. Not a good sign methinks.
Gravitas
North England

19-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Before they started walking, my two used to pull themselves up onto their feet by holding onto the furniture. We used to encourage them to walk to us by clapping our hands and calling them to us. After a while they made their first ‘wobble’ over to us.

Your little grandson will walk when he is ready, Gravitas...
Yes, I know he will. He walked six days ago.

I was concerned he might not walk before his Butlins holiday in 3 weeks' time, which would have restricted him.

I am also concerned he might be allowed to go down the path of being a "watcher" rather than a get stuck in "doer".

But that's another matter.
Gravitas
North England

19-08-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Purple lizard ->
Yeah! What's wrong with being fick anyway.

Intelligence is looked down on these days, innit.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Yes, I know he will. He walked six days ago.

I was concerned he might not walk before his Butlins holiday in 3 weeks' time, which would have restricted him.

I am also concerned he might be allowed to go down the path of being a "watcher" rather than a get stuck in "doer".

But that's another matter.

He will do things in his time, not yours, you won't be popular if you pressurise him.

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top