Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 11:47 AM

All Those Christmas Films on TV!

For weeks, now, the TV companies have been running older TV Christmas films, every day.

I think that, apart from a couple or three, (Scrooge, White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life?) all the rest are, virtually, the same story.

Basically, girl (or bloke) leaves stressful job in NY to visit her relatives in some southern state.

Amazingly, an ex lover, happens to be there, they make up, and live happily ever after. (With help from Santa who drives his sleigh around, for effect).

If you say "If you don't like it why do you watch them?"

I reply, "I'm locked in , you idiot. give me some new stuff - I pay well for the privilege!

p.s. As for all those ancient cowboy movies, aghhhhhh!

p.p.s Question:- What is a TV Movie?

Answer:- Short 10 minute item designed to fill the 15
minute gap between adverts!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 12:53 PM

Re: All Those Christmas Films on TV!

Ted, That is so funny because the storylines are so typical and they all usually live happily ever after.
I bet there’s not a dry eye in your house now and during Christmas when all these weepies are on!
Best to stock up with boxes of tissues now!

As for TV movies, some are so amateurish! They all end up with the police or the victim’s friend coming to the rescue, shooting or overpowering the perpetrator then telling the victim, ‘lts over’.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 01:43 PM

The worst films on TV are those dreadfully predictable afternoon ones from the US. On around 3pm. God save us from this dross.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 04:57 PM

There's always the bit where it all goes wrong until someone talks sense into one of them and they go crawling back and end up kissing.

What annoys me most with the cheesy American films is that they appear to have swapped the word 'Christmas' for 'Chrithmath.'

I normally give it five minutes, if I can't take the accent any longer, I turn off.

Happy Helium!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
The worst films on TV are those dreadfully predictable afternoon ones from the US. On around 3pm. God save us from this dross.
I have noticed that many of those so called 'thrillers' are made in Canada.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 06:36 PM

1) Woman married a serial killer but is too thick to know what he is until her best mate is butchered. Her 7 yr old kid however is of course preternaturally wise about "uncle but mummy won't listen.

2) Couple are divorced/separated, the man begs for access to their kid, another bloke moves in and causes trouble while said rejected man gets all desperate/violent/pathetic.

3) Someone witnesses a murder, is spotted by killer, has to leave their home (dragging kids with them), is in terrible danger but, surprise surprise, is saved by a delightful man who just happens along.

And so on and so on ......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There's always the bit where it all goes wrong until someone talks sense into one of them and they go crawling back and end up kissing.

What annoys me most with the cheesy American films is that they appear to have swapped the word 'Christmas' for 'Chrithmath.'

I normally give it five minutes, if I can't take the accent any longer, I turn off.

Happy Helium!

I sooooo agree with you there, Dongle.
Some American accents, especially the kids and some women, are like fingernails scraping on metal.
I can't listen to them.

And I almost never, ever, see an American film that doesn't involve cops and car chases, tyres screeching, and firing guns out car windows at each other.

Or another one that is repeated over and over again, is a so-called retired cop, or sometimes an ex-baddie , gets hooked out of retirement to solve one last crime.
God, how many times has that one been played out?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 01:19 AM

Thank goodness they have stopped showing The Dambusters and Seance on a Wet Afternoon each Christmas.

Anyway there is always Netflix or Stan nowadays.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I sooooo agree with you there, Dongle.
Some American accents, especially the kids and some women, are like fingernails scraping on metal.
I can't listen to them.

And I almost never, ever, see an American film that doesn't involve cops and car chases, tyres screeching, and firing guns out car windows at each other.

Or another one that is repeated over and over again, is a so-called retired cop, or sometimes an ex-baddie , gets hooked out of retirement to solve one last crime.
God, how many times has that one been played out?
''24 hours then you're off the case''
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-11-2020, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
1) Woman married a serial killer but is too thick to know what he is until her best mate is butchered. Her 7 yr old kid however is of course preternaturally wise about "uncle but mummy won't listen.

2) Couple are divorced/separated, the man begs for access to their kid, another bloke moves in and causes trouble while said rejected man gets all desperate/violent/pathetic.

3) Someone witnesses a murder, is spotted by killer, has to leave their home (dragging kids with them), is in terrible danger but, surprise surprise, is saved by a delightful man who just happens along.

And so on and so on ......

Blimey eccles! Which Christmas films have you been watching?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top