Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:26 PM

Re: Fuse Box puzzle....

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thank you Judd..... I'd copied and pasted that to read when my head's back in gear and I can inwardly digest it, but I think I understand by a quick read that that means 'yes' they could have gone off.

Actually, thinking about it all, and to satisfy my curiosity, I could just switch the 'socket' switch off at the fuse box and check if they go off.
Well, when you switched the MCB back on previously and heard the boiler fire up, it means it's connected to the ring main.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Well, when you switched the MCB back on previously and heard the boiler fire up, it means it's connected to the ring main.
Actually, I shouldn't have put 'fired up', as it only made a noise and didn't actually 'fired up' as it wasn't cold enough for the room thermostat to kick in.

Anyway, everything's alright so I'll shut me gob now. At least my questions have been answered. I don't like not understanding things, so thank you chuckabiddy
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:00 AM

Actually, I shouldn't have put 'fired up', as it only made a noise and didn't actually 'fired up' as it wasn't cold enough for the room thermostat to kick in.

Anyway, everything's alright so I'll shut me gob now. At least my questions have been answered. I don't like not understanding things, so thank you chuckabiddy
I meant fire up as in it going through its startup checks
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 01:04 AM

I'll smack your a*se - why you no risten?
I didn't check the CH, cooker hood or burglar alarm to see if they'd gone off, but I thought I heard a 'firing up' noise from the boiler when I switched the 'socket' switch back on in the fuse box.
No, I know you didn't check them, but if they're connected via the same circuit breaker, they could logically have been the cause of the problem, I suppose.
I'm sure the boiler would fire up, having been off, when you turned back on the circuit breaker.

Anyway, I should listen to Judd. I'm sure he knows more about this than I do. I was just poking my nose in out of interest!

'Appliance' and batteries in the bedroom.... surely you aren't being norty JB

PS I'm not losing sleep over it, I just don't like it when I can't find a reason for something
Me? Being naughty? Of course not. Perish the thought.
A night light or hand-held fan, perhaps...
or something else?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Me? Being naughty? Of course not. Perish the thought.
A night light or hand-held fan, perhaps...
or something else?

..... Or the remote for the TV in the bedroom, which I haven't got, or the remote for raising the bed to a suitable position, which I haven't got or....

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-01-2021, 03:05 PM

I had a ping moment while drifting off to sleep last night wondering if the CH had gone off too. So I got up, feeling quite sure I'd found the answer and checked .... yep, it did go off.

So what was the obvious thing I should've checked?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:13 PM

..... Or the remote for the TV in the bedroom, which I haven't got, or the remote for raising the bed to a suitable position, which I haven't got or....

Yes, exactly. I think you have a dirty mind Pesta.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-01-2021, 03:15 PM

I had a ping moment while drifting off to sleep last night wondering if the CH had gone off too. So I got up, feeling quite sure I'd found the answer and checked .... yep, it did go off.

The CH timer, assuming you have one!

Ours goes off at about 10.30pm and back on at 6.30am, though it has a thermostat too so it's not on all the time.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

27-01-2021, 03:20 PM

Nothing that you could have checked really - anything with a motor (power surge when switching on) could have tripped the breaker (MCB) so unless your central heating was switching on at 2:30 in the morning (doubtful), I'd continue to suspect the fridge/freezer. Not a great deal you can do about it unless it gets to be a regular problem. Hopefully, it was just a one-off glitch.

ETA: Do you have a security light connected to the socket circuit via a fused spur? They're notorious for tripping MCBs off, especially when they begin to get old and corrode.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The CH timer, assuming you have one!

Ours goes off at about 10.30pm and back on at 6.30am, though it has a thermostat too so it's not on all the time.

Yes, I've a timer, but I don't use it. I rely on the room thermostat.

You're nearly there with 'timer' though..

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top