Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 03:46 PM

"NOW Mabel !!"

LETTERS

Winston Churchill did it & now I am doing it - writing letters and not sending them. It’s not such a pointless exercise as first appears.

Firstly, it’s very satisfying to put your point across in a measured way not always possible in person viz -”I should have said”.

Secondly, it’s very calming and being calm is good for the old digestion. Having something gnawing away at your inside gives you wrinkles, possibly stomach ulcers too.

Thirdly - moving quickly on to my last point, the unsent letter joins the rest of the pile of frozen in time missives to remind you at some future date how good a writer you used to be before email & texting.

“NOW MABEL”

When I was more mobile my brother in law accompanied me on regular jaunts to antique fairs, junk shops and local history talks. This last category often gave us an interesting sideways take at the way the lecturers differed in their presentation methods How easily an unwary unprepared speaker can fall foul of his aids, be they an overhead projector or other visual helps .Many of the older generation used a large portable screen or simply pointed their tried and tested Kodak “Carousel” rotary slide projector.

MABEL

Mabel would be their tried and tested assistant, of advancing years and bored rigid. Having seen the slides umpteen times, her main objective was to watch for the signal to change the slide and stay awake in the cosy warm semi darkness of the parish/village/church hall/community centre wherever the talk was being held.

Some time halfway through the slideshow Mabel’s reaction time lengthened and the speaker would appear more anxious as his nod to Mabel slowly deteriorated to a loud agitated stage whisper of “NOW Mabel”

It always woke me up but sadly, not always Mabel.

MISUNDERSTOOD

It’s easily done, a chance remark, an unclear signal, maybe a breakdown in understanding. My wife nurse Gillian acted out an unfortunate gesture which needed considerable explaining. Unfortunately, on the day the moment couldn’t be retrieved and remains a subject for embarrassed laughter.

When we have visitors we always stand at our door or gate waving them off when the time comes for them to leave. During the 1990s we acted as hosts to a number of German students at the SCHOOL of ENGLISH in the city centre. On one occasion we taxied our student back to the school to join a coach load of German students all on board a high sided luxury vehicle. The coach revved up and nurse Gillian and yours truly waved our right arms as high as we could so our student saw us. AlL was going well until nurse Gillian put her forefinger under her nose, an itch she protested but to the entire world it looked liked a comic impression of
Herr Schicklgruber., AKA Adolf Hitler.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Re: "NOW Mabel !!"

I know I shouldn't read these after water tablets. Very good Bobbyboy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 05:48 AM

And there was me thinking you were talking about 'Have a Go!' and Wilfred Pickle's wife Mabel - "What's on the table Mabel?"

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Aaah Memories............
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Aaah Memories............
Before Mabel, Wilfred Pickles used Violet Carsons (remember her???) and his catch phrase was originally 'Give 'em the money Vi'.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Before Mabel, Wilfred Pickles used Violet Carsons (remember her???) and his catch phrase was originally 'Give 'em the money Vi'.
Violet Carson was resident pianist and used to play the signature tune on the piano at the beginning and end of the programme'

The two catchphrases I remember are "What's on the table Mable" and "Give 'em the money, Barney" (a reference to the programmes producer).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top