Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Re: "In cash please guv."

What a 'result' Hazel ..... Luvely - Jubbley ....
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm a gardener and most clients pay cash. The rest pay with cheque or straight into my bank account.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 11:06 PM

I glean from the replies to my unclear topic that the overwhelming majority are transparently & fiercly honest and upfront in their private & business dealings
. Good on you all.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Forget the workman, if he says to you that will be a £100,00 cash or £122.50 with VAT and a receipt, what do you say, in most cases, it would not just be the tradesman acting with impropriety.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:30 AM

Sometimes Rob a little honesty pays, I used to do some self employed part time work for someone who tried to persuade me to stop paying my NI contributions, I told him that I wasn't interested in whatever he was doing but I would keep paying because I wanted my pension.

His wife then came in and tried again with the same answer.

She retired before I did and you should have heard them squark because she wasn't getting a pension. I think that I could be forgiven for my smug feelings.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Myth and Magic ->
Sometimes Rob a little honesty pays, I used to do some self employed part time work for someone who tried to persuade me to stop paying my NI contributions, I told him that I wasn't interested in whatever he was doing but I would keep paying because I wanted my pension.

His wife then came in and tried again with the same answer.

She retired before I did and you should have heard them squark because she wasn't getting a pension. I think that I could be forgiven for my smug feelings.
That wasn't honesty, that was a good financial decision, you wanted your pension.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:53 AM

We're becoming more honest by the minute chums.

BTW, I quite like "Rob" or "RJ" even......
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 09:14 AM

I'm afraid I'll have to be classed as dishonest then unless it affects a guarantee, which it didn't, I still got it and a receipt, and as not everyone pays VAT, that doesn't always affect it but as one bloke said A pound in the pocket is worth more than £100 on paper that's why he gave discount for cash, at least he was sure he'd been paid. I always pay cash and ask for discount, though did find when I went to buy a car and said I wouldn't need credit the salesman lost interest.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Mega rich individuals & global corporations come into a lot of flack for their tax avoidance culture antics.

Aren’t we all guilty of paying tradesmen in cash when we are fairly certain none of it will be declared. Or are relatively small sums not important.
I always offer tradesmen cash and expect a 10% discount. Some do, some don't.

As Kerry Packer once said, "Anybody that pays more tax than they have to needs their head examined"
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 06:50 PM

I have just had the lounge and ceiling re-plastered. The quote was very reasonable and the job done was excellent quality - and surprisingly very little mess for me to clean up afterwards. The plasterer had said his son (18) would would work for £30 per day taking the paper off and getting the walls ready. Poor lad spent two full days on it and it was a really fiddly and time consuming job. When the work was finished (out of character for me) I decided to ask how they wanted paying, cheque or cash. The plasterer said to just give his son the £30 per day and pay for the plastering work however I thought best, cash or cheque. Because they had both done such a grand job and I felt the price they charged for such an excellent job was so reasonable I paid them both in cash. The son I decided to pay minimum wage which was more than the £30 per day he had asked for. I was really pleased - chuffed to find two such good workers who were both fair and competent. Some people might say I am soft, but I don't think so in this case.
I don't normally pay cash in hand and if they had mentioned it themselves I would have said no - cheque and receipted invoice is how I pay.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top