Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 12:55 PM

Christmas presents

Do any of you have a budget on christmas presents? like £10 limit for adult presents or anything like that....Just wondering, and whats been your favourtie ever present.................?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Re: Christmas presents

I buy so few presents now that there's no need for a limit (This is through discussion with givers/receivers and agreement that everyone has a calmer quieter life if they're not rushing round stressing over reciprocal gifts. There's the option of going out for a post xmas meal together, or pantomime or similar)
However, if you're in a large family and do 'do presents' then I think the limit can be a really good idea.
You can do other things like stipulate only silly, or only practical, or only edible, or only hand-made for the adults, etc

Best ever? Mmm, I'll need to think on that one.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 02:28 PM

No we don't have a limit but I do like to find something they really like. I find with my grand children gift cards are the best as I am in an absolute loss most times.

My favorite gift ever for Christmas was ice skates when I was about 12 yrs old when they were so hard to find. My Dad bought them large enough so both my best friend and I could share
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 05:35 PM

With having no living family and losing so many friends to death over the years I have a small list of people to buy for, so don't really need a monetary limit.

Best ever? Hard to say, any year I got lots and lots of books and no clothing!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 06:18 PM

I think putting a limit is a good way to make it fair - especially when you have a lot of people to buy for. Obviously excluding parents tho!

Dm - you can always buy me something if you want
(Just kidding!!!)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I think putting a limit is a good way to make it fair - especially when you have a lot of people to buy for. Obviously excluding parents tho!

Dm - you can always buy me something if you want

(Just kidding!!!)
Lol, I suspect you're hard to buy for, Azz! My favorite presents for difficult people are pre-potted giant amaryllis bulbs (even a black-thumbed person can usually raise one!). or a tin of fancy cashews. Which would you like?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 09:42 PM

As my income is less than that of most of the people I buy presents for, I try to find little things that mean something. I got one of my sons a set of do-it-yourself hair clippers because he hates going to get his hair cut. And I`ve painted a picture of her dog for a friend.
I don`t aim to actually spend that much - but they need to be personal and fun.
cathy
essex
cathy is female  cathy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2009, 10:59 PM

just buying a few token gifts, havnt got the energy or the inclination do *do christmas* this year.family strife
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 12:52 AM

I don't buy present any more, I have done with all that nonsense

Well almost, I buy a token present for son and DIL. Last year I had mugs and mouse mats printed with pictures of their dog Zak , they loved them and both took them to their offices

This year it will be lots of socks, home made pickled cabbage and a Christmas pudding (made with organic fruit and lots of brandy).

I don't get many gifts either which is fine, I am such an ungrateful picky madam I rarely like what I receive anyway.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't buy present any more, I have done with all that nonsense

Well almost, I buy a token present for son and DIL. Last year I had mugs and mouse mats printed with pictures of their dog Zak , they loved them and both took them to their offices

This year it will be lots of socks, home made pickled cabbage and a Christmas pudding (made with organic fruit and lots of brandy).

I don't get many gifts either which is fine, I am such an ungrateful picky madam I rarely like what I receive anyway.
Meg, I think food gifts are wonderful especially the ones you mentioned.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top