Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 01:12 AM

Re: Christmas presents

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Meg, I think food gifts are wonderful especially the ones you mentioned.
..thank you Buzzie , I forgot to mention the mincemeat for mincepies, that's home made too
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
..thank you Buzzie , I forgot to mention the mincemeat for mincepies, that's home made too
I can't remember how many pounds you said you made but it was alot My son just loves it and I hope he has a piece this Thanksgiving. (he's in Florida)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't buy present any more, I have done with all that nonsense

Well almost, I buy a token present for son and DIL. Last year I had mugs and mouse mats printed with pictures of their dog Zak , they loved them and both took them to their offices

This year it will be lots of socks, home made pickled cabbage and a Christmas pudding (made with organic fruit and lots of brandy).

I don't get many gifts either which is fine, I am such an ungrateful picky madam I rarely like what I receive anyway.
Oh I do like that idea! May do that next year; am almost finished this years shopping.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 11:40 AM

I don't buy for many people now by mutual agreement, just my two sisters and their OH's, we only buy small gifts.

I spend more on OH and daughter and don't have a budget, I look for things that they would like. We did agree though that we wouldn't spend the amounts of money we have in the past, it just gets ridiculous.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
I don't buy for many people now by mutual agreement, just my two sisters and their OH's, we only buy small gifts.

I spend more on OH and daughter and don't have a budget, I look for things that they would like. We did agree though that we wouldn't spend the amounts of money we have in the past, it just gets ridiculous.
I agree, I shop for what someone likes and the price hopefully is not what someone is judging a gift. I love to give them but if it wasn't rude a gift to me would sit unopened for weeks. To put a price that you can shop for to me is like saying "I don't want to get gipped"

Pretty bad when you have to start quoting yourself. The minimum I spoke of is just what I have seen here in the building but I know those of you who have said this most likely don't want to cause an embarrassement to either party and it can work. Just not here, they are like children.
Trixybird
West Sussex
Trixybird is female  Trixybird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 01:16 AM

I had to laugh at Meg's post, as each and every year my husband says he hates how commercial it has all become now. I used to disagree, but don't anymore It seems to kick off earlier and earlier each and every year, with the emphasise on spend spend spend.....

Fortunately we have a small family, so not too expensive!! We do get gifts for each other, and our budget is what we can comfortably afford.

P.s I wouldn't say "NO" to some pickled red cabbage
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 01:54 PM

We are only buying a small gift for 2 Grandchildren(Son's children)...............no one else except our Daughter.
OH & I stopped buying for each other a while back - Not sending cards this year either, just so expensive.
buzzie
USA

24-11-2009, 02:04 PM

I'm only sending cards to people that are not with us and out of town this year. Everyone is cutting back so they understand.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 02:06 PM

I don't think it's any bad thing that people in general are cutting back
Eat drink and be merry by all means - but don't put yourself in hock for the whole of the next year through excesses
buzzie
USA

24-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I don't think it's any bad thing that people in general are cutting back
Eat drink and be merry by all means - but don't put yourself in hock for the whole of the next year through excesses
It doesn't cost a cent to have a Merry Merry time.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top