Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Re: Christmas presents

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I don't think it's any bad thing that people in general are cutting back
Eat drink and be merry by all means - but don't put yourself in hock for the whole of the next year through excesses
Yeeeeeeeeeep!
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2009, 12:49 AM

Mother, sister and myself a few years back decided to spend £20 on each other but the money had to be spent on four gifts
something to wear
something to do
something to eat
something to listen to.

I got a scarf and funky socks
small cross stitch and a book
chocs and tablet
2 x CD's

Thought it was a fun idea.

I only buy now for immediate family and two close friends. Otherwise it just gets silly.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2009, 01:09 PM

We don't buy much either, just a few bits for the 2 youngest as they are still at home.I buy myself some books to read and have told everyone not to buy for us, it just gets silly, all the money spent on things you don't want, if we need anything we just buy it anyway.My biggest splurge is on the dogs, we all love watching them rip the pressies open on Christmas day.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 08:29 PM

I just buy for our 2 mums, my sister and family, My daughter, partner and his daughter a very special friends dog down south as she always sends such imaginative presents for my Lexi and just tins of sweets for the rest or choccies...No limit really on what we spend just really what we can afford at the time ... I work in retail and this year have only got Christmas day off so feeling a bit Bahhh Humbug at the moment but that will no doubt change the nearer we get to the day as a child our family always made a big thing of Christmas we used to go to bed on Christmas eve night and mom and dad would then decorate the house and I mean nearly all the house except the bedrooms the tree was always bigger than the room(In height) and used to be cut to size so the fairy was touching the ceiling it was like getting up and going into Santa's Grotto and we always did the ritual of leaving a Sherry and mincepie for Santa... Oh Christmas was always so magical thankyou to my mom and dad for making it so as times were sometimes hard for them cash wise ....
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Suey, that's how our parents did for us. With the little they had at that time, I will always remember just how magical it was. I loved those two so much.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Do you still hand stockings up ?

We always did for our kids, . . usually an orange in the toe to stretch it then lots of other goodies on top.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I work in retail and this year have only got Christmas day off so feeling a bit Bahhh Humbug at the moment but that will no doubt change the nearer we get to the day
I think a word of praise should be handed down to Suey - I know you're getting paid and it is your job but I still feel that anyone who can handle all the muppets who push and shoove their way to the checkouts in the run up to Christmas deserves at least a word of thanks.

Suey, keep a smile on your face in those few days and I will be thinking of you too, and wishing that all those rude people who've forgottten their pin number, and don't have enough cash on them...........................go to some other shop

Nice description of a childs Christmas too
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 10:08 PM

I had a stocking until my early teens! But Mom and Dad only did the tree overnight when I was little enough to still believe in Santa Claus. Then we did it together.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 10:18 PM

I agree Losos, three cheers for Suey who will have to keep her sense of humor though the next 25 days. I promise to remember my pin number and hope to have enough cash. LOL
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Hear hear for those working in sales at this time - especially those who have to be ready for the ravening hordes from 26 December!

As a counterpoint - did you hear that 'Kevin from Homebase' was the runaway public choice to switch on the xmas lights at Portishead? Good for him *goes off to find link*
Read about him beating Johnny Depp here

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top