Join for free
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Damon Hill 1 - Bernie Eccleston 0

Well done to Damon Hill and the BRDC they have got F1 boss Bernie Eccleston to agree a 17 year deal for Silverstone

It's not often Bernie Eccleston doesn't get his way but this time he's had to concede that Donnington couldn't fund the improvements he wanted and that Silverstone is the drivers favorite circuit, and improvements will have to take place slowly over time because unlike most of the 'new' circuits in foreign countries there is NO government subsidy for Silverstone or the BRDC.

The first upgrade for Silverstone really should be the access route since it's a bit of a nightmare getting in and definately getting out, not that I've done it for many years.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2009, 04:36 PM

Re: Damon Hill 1 - Bernie Eccleston 0

I must confess to being pretty underwhelmed by the F1 thing - so much money, so much noise, so little to see, so inaccessible, so far from 'real' participatory sport. But that's just me - I know many do enjoy it.
I never did think there wouldn't be a GP in Britain - isn't every development team based here?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2009, 07:59 PM

I'm a great fan of F1 and Motor Racing in general. Many years ago my brother used to write a motor racing column for the local paper which meant he attended several events. He asked me to go along with him as I always typed up his report for him to send in to the newspaper.

I used to get a thrill from the sound of the revving engines at the start of every race and I still get that feeling when I watch the races on TV today..... it's a sound that gives me shivers! The atmosphere at race circuits is electric! I suppose it's akin to the roar of the crowd at a football/rugby game.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I never did think there wouldn't be a GP in Britain - isn't every development team based here?
Almost every one, Ferrari of course are in Italy and I think Renault are in France (I might be wrong about that) but the rest are based in UK and mostly around Silverstone, and it is true that many technical developments eventualy work their way into your street car and that has to be a good thing.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm a great fan of F1 and Motor Racing in general. Many years ago my brother used to write a motor racing column for the local paper which meant he attended several events. He asked me to go along with him as I always typed up his report for him to send in to the newspaper.

I used to get a thrill from the sound of the revving engines at the start of every race and I still get that feeling when I watch the races on TV today..... it's a sound that gives me shivers! The atmosphere at race circuits is electric! I suppose it's akin to the roar of the crowd at a football/rugby game.
Well my wife and I still like to watch on TV but Dinahsmum has a point 'cos it has changed so much in recent years, the big money has moved in, and the general public are not allowed anywhere near the pits. Mags I expect you and your brother used to get close to the action and I can remember when I and a couple of friends got into the pits just by talking to a guy on the gate, he wasn't a security man, just someone the BRDC had asked to 'keep an eye on the entrance to the pits'

Totally impossible now of course

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top