Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Re: Do You Stock Up Or Buy Only What You Need?

You sound very organised, Judd.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 09:01 PM

I am. Well, being on my own, I have to be.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Errrm....

I have just about one years supply of Tassimo Costa Latte pods bought when they were 33% off

50+ Gillette Fusion razor blades

20+ cans of Gillette Shaving Gel

I used to have a downstairs loo filled with jars of Pataks Madras curry sauce but that is down to one shelf in a cupboard now

I just cannot resist a good bargain
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Errrm....

I have just about one years supply of Tassimo Costa Latte pods bought when they were 33% off

I used to have a downstairs loo filled with jars of Pataks Madras curry sauce but that is down to one shelf in a cupboard now

Well, that really made me laugh.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Spam, you can’t have enough spam..you will all thank me come the Zombie Apocalypse
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:18 PM

Yes, I always have a reasonably well stocked freezer, fridge and cupboard. Have several tins of Baxters soups, plus a jar of curry sauce, which have been in my cupboard for some weeks/months, there's a beef joint in my freezer, part of a larger jpint I cut into three, have jars of dried herbs and spices in my cupboard, Have several packets of fish in my freezer with which I make my own version of admiral's pie.Have a tray of lambs liver in my freezer which, when I get round to it I'll make a liver, bacon And onion casserole.Ther's also the remains of a tub of ice cream in my freezer.,
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Errrm....

eeeek you are a hoarder lol
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
What about you?
I most certainly stock up and take the current world situation very seriously.

In fact after having used my garage for 15 years to faithfully put my car away every night, I confined my car to the drive so that I could create a long term food storage area.
I put strong shelving in the garage and rotate my food.
I maintain enough food to last me some months so that as and when we do get the National disruptions from either terrorist attacks or natural disasters I don't have to panic in the least and can survive quite comfortably.

I'd recommend everyone to set up a rotating long term food storage and to learn the techniques needed to survive should the shops all run dry.

I learned:

- How to create and maintain a sourdough starter (flour + water etc)

- How to make great sourdough bread

- How to ferment vegetables using just salt + water (sauerkraut etc)

- How to make yeast water from fruits

- How to make passata and bottle it

- What foods have long shelf life

As a result I have grains (which I buy by the sack, much cheaper) inc Wheat, Spelt and Rye. I also have raw oat grains (or Groats) and a grain mill from which I can take all the above and make my own flour or rolled oats for porridge.

I have dried pasta in various shapes and sizes and various pulses and rice. Various long life tinned goods and of course jars of honey, treacle etc that last indefinitely.

I also have a food dehydrator which, if necessary, would allow me to dry vegetables and fruits so they would last a very long time. It also makes fantastic meat jerky.

I keep a chest freezer topped up with plenty of meat and fish which I buy from a reputable farm shop. Chicken, Beef, Pork, Lamb and Venison and plenty of sausages. Of course if the electrics go that will be a problem.

I do know about canning meats to make them last a long time without the need for freezing but as yet haven't got into that.

The majority of what's in my food store is food that we eat regularly so visits to the supermarket/shops are infrequent and what we buy is cheap and small quantity, mostly just fresh veg and fruit and milk.

So we regularly use the long term food storage and keep it stocked up, rotated.

I know how to grow vegetables myself and have done so before but currently am not doing so, but could repurpose the garden swiftly if needed. I have a large composter in the garden already full of long composted material and I have a large water butt which I could use to water things.

And so it goes on

Everyone imo should have some form of food store even if it's just enough to last a few weeks. At some point the shops will run dry, could be the result of simple transport disruption preventing lorries getting through, it's happened before. Everyone should also have a small water filter/purifier for when the water supply gets cut off. The kind that lets you put in pond or puddle water in one end and produces clear potable water out the other end.

Just common sense really
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:22 PM

Sometimes you have to be "Just in time", with the Kanban.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:27 PM

My cupboards are always full to bursting but not because of me, it's my husband, he has OCD and when he goes shopping he always comes home with 2 or sometimes 3 of the same thing. He shops when there is no need, we have a cupboard, fridge and freezer full of stuff. I've actually banned him from shopping only recently because it was getting ridiculous and he was spending a ridiculous amount of money in Tesco when we didn't even need things. He agreed with me that it was getting out of hand and he was spending money needlessly then wondering why we were skint!! I bet it is hard for him, OCD is horrible for the affected. He has to put all the tins neatly and the label to the front.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top