Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Re: Happy May Day!

Good news all round for you Bob...

Am sure you'll enjoy your large dinner Eileen, not such a good day tomorrow for you-starvation! Not easy when you enjoy food-you'll make up for it once on road to recovery

Relaxing day today..walking this morning and then one of my Sisters came early afternoon and stayed for tea.

Sad to say the moors are still on fire, and in answer to your question Eileen, it has been exceptionally dry, in fact I can't remember when we last had a good downpour of rain-hope I'm not tempting fate here, but rain would be helpful in putting out the fire. It was reported on the local news on TV this evening and showed a picture-dreadful sight of the blackened moors. Apparently the fire is spreading, mainly due to the very windy conditions we have had for the past 3 days. There are 2 isolated farms on the moors and I understand they have been warned that they may have to evacuate if the fire spreads any further-terrible news for the farmers Investigations are still being carried out as to how the fires may have started.....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Oh merz, that is sad news; wild fires are dreadful: loss of life, both human and other and the habitat destruction. I hope they can get yours under control soon and the people won't have to abandon their homes. Wildfires are unfortunately common in California and the drier parts of the West; we see those terrible pictures of raging flames far too often on the TV ...

Yes, dreading foodless Monday ...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh merz, that is sad news; wild fires are dreadful: loss of life, both human and other and the habitat destruction. I hope they can get yours under control soon and the people won't have to abandon their homes. Wildfires are unfortunately common in California and the drier parts of the West; we see those terrible pictures of raging flames far too often on the TV ...

Yes, dreading foodless Monday ...
No reports of any injuries to humans or wildlife, and hopefully there won't be Eileen. Feel so sorry for people who may have to abandon their homes, especially the farmers who will have to move their livestock as well. All roads round the moors have been closed, and the Police and Fire Officers are appealing to people to stay away-apparently some have been going up and moving the 'roads closed' signs - personally can't understand why anyone would want to put themselves in danger! The winds, in the last half hour or so have dropped, so hopefully the fires won't spread any further and they'll be able to get them under control.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top