Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 02:46 PM

How often do you Decorate?

Hi

Been here just over two years and decided to decorate again.

It is amazing how yellow the paintwork has gone.

How often do you decorate?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 02:55 PM

Re: How often do you Decorate?

As infrequently as possible.
I use water based gloss for woodwork, as it's the oil base that causes yellowing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 03:09 PM

Decorating used to be a 'rolling project' , I was constantly decorating always doing it myself.

Now my eyesight and health make decorating difficult, the whole house was done 4 years ago and I am not sure when it will be done again.

I did a bit of painting outside in the summer but I tire very quickly and could only do a small amount at a time.

Luckily I no longer care in the same way about decorating, as long as everywhere is spotlessly clean that is the main thing these days.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
As infrequently as possible.
I use water based gloss for woodwork, as it's the oil base that causes yellowing.
I agree Tregonsee , water based gloss is the way to go.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 03:39 PM

That's a useful tip, thanks.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:08 PM

How often?
It's a bit like the Forth Bridge - when you get to the end, the beginning is ready again.

Okay so perhaps not quite that extreme but with changes in use and furnishings I'd say that at least one room gets decorated every year here.

Apparently mustard is out and mulberry looks better, so cream might go better than grey ...........
Which means new seating, rugs - and oh! The nice wooden flooring; can we change the colour of that?

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration but it's not far from the truth.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:14 PM

We've been here five years and just carried out touching up where necessary, but when we re-decorate isn't really up to me otherwise we would never do it... Having said that, after we repaired the kitchen roof after the storm damage last winter we had one of our sons decorate the kitchen throughout, he's a painter and decorator by trade so I guess he'd be employed again if we ever do a proper re- decorate.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:16 PM

I always did my own decorating when it was needed, but now being retired and living in a small village I use a local decorator who only works within the village and is very good with his prices
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:18 PM

There must be something wrong with me because I've always enjoyed decorating especially painting. Unfortunately, these days I can't hold a paint brush or roller steadily enough because my hand shakes when I grip things.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Been here just over two years and decided to decorate again.

It is amazing how yellow the paintwork has gone.

How often do you decorate?
The last time we had everything painted was 5yrs ago and since then nothing has yellowed and even the emulsion walls/ceilings seem as bright as new. The paint used was Leyland Trade Satin and scrubbable emulsion paints. I wish I had known about this range of paints before :yes:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top