Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 01:36 PM

Goodbye ATMs.

Did the shops actually agree to this? Think of the cash they'll need to keep in their stores.
Ripe for robbery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55027393
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 01:51 PM

Re: Goodbye ATMs.

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Did the shops actually agree to this? Think of the cash they'll need to keep in their stores.
Ripe for robbery.

What the shop can't cover they can't cover - end of. Go back next day. Sorted.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 02:53 PM

It's a step backwards but then we seem to be excelling in backward steps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's a step backwards but then we seem to be excelling in backward steps.

I agree.

I don't understand this at all, because haven't they been trying to encourage us to use only card payments recently, but now they want us to get cash again?
I wish they wouldnt keep trying to interfere with our money, it should be personal choice and nothing to do with anyone else. We know what is easiest and most convenient for us, better than some faceless wonder behind a desk somewhere!

I shop a fair bit with my card, but I have to have some cash as well and would be in a mess without it.
I suppose the shops who refuse to provide cash back will lose trade.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 09:48 AM

I keep in touch with L from the allotments and she talks about the trading shed, which had to close during lock down. The council will not allow them to use cash, so association members have been ordering items and paying online. When the Treasurer confirms money has been received, then one committee member goes into the shed and prepares the order for them to collect outside.

She is the nominated ‘one person allowed in the shed’. Apparently trading has been going well but still the council won’t allow cash. I wonder if that will be the end of it? Oh, there was talk of them having to get a card reader, but payment of that would come out of the trading shed account, money from the members.

I’m just glad I’m no longer in that job as Treasurer, or indeed on the committee.

Usually the shop closes this time of year, but I wonder if they will continue doing this?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Ripe for robbery.

First I appreciate that there are those who cannot survive without using hard currency; let me assure you of that much.
But banking is changing and it has to.

Like it or not, the number of people using physical banks has fallen dramatically as has the number of people that use hard currency (cash).
Banks and the hole-in-the-wall machines need people to operate them and it all needs to be paid-for.
That is why bank branches are still closing, and is why the numbers of cash machines are falling too.

So there are only two sensible options to ensure that those still needing access can retain as much of that access as possible.
One is with schemes like the above.
The other is to introduce significant charges for everybody holding a bank account.

Again, I understand that there are those for whom changes like this are difficult but - honestly - I do not see what other reasonable option there is.
After all, there are far more shops with the technology necessary to perform banking tasks than there are banks and Post Offices.
There will probably be less unnecessary queueing too.

I don't see shops being more vulnerable because of this because they will not be holding extra cash, but presumably they will hold less cash as people withdraw what they need.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:37 AM

Well only time will tell. I use my debit card for almost everything I buy these days, but I still need cash for some of the people who come here to do things like my window cleaner, my chiropodist ect.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top