Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 01:22 AM

Re: Nightmare at the Lion Queens Castle

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The main problem with a leak (if it is a pipe) is not fixing the leak but getting to the problem. i don't know the layout of your house but it could be a pipe or fitting leaking somewhere else and the water is travelling under your laminate then up to the surface, perhaps a downstairs basin, tap or loo. I have seen this happen a few times.
Could be a radiator feed/return pipe. Depending on whether it's a pressurised system or gravity fed would determine whether it would eventually stop getting worse while she waits for the repair.

Hopefully it's a wooden subfloor for easy of access, although the expansion of the floorboards might make it harder to get it flat afterwards. Swings and roundabouts!!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Doesn't that indicate that it's not your water supply pipe?
Not necessarily. A radiator pipe could easily be the culprit.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Blimey what a mess....i wish i could give some really good solutions to the problem LQ but I have none....hope you get it sorted soon xx
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 08:01 AM

That is a nightmare
Keeping my fingers crossed for you LQ that it get fixed soon.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 09:15 AM

As others have said LQ, the main problem is in finding the leak and there could be many reasons why the leak started. If, for instance you have a screed floor under the laminate and the house is of a certain age, then the heating pipes could have been laid through the screed and the cement may have corroded through a pipe over time, allowing a leak. However, this is all conjecture without knowing the property but I'm sure the plumber will soon diagnose the problem once he arrives.

Wiishing you all the best though for a swift and cheap resolution, whatever the cause...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 11:28 AM

I read this last night when lying in bed, LQ, and couldn’t answer right then. So sorry to hear about this, and hope the plumber finds the source and deals with it. What a nightmare! When my sister had a leak from her toilet in the old house, into her laminate, she had a dehumidifier on for weeks to dry it out, but was able to have new flooring laid through the insurance. What upset her was the fact her late partner had laid that original laminate.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 11:48 AM

Sorry to read of your problems with unexplained water on the floor LQ, hope you get it sorted soon.

When I had a complete new central heating installed a couple of years' ago, part of modernising the house, I noticed the downstairs radiators were fed from pipes actually set in the solid concrete floors. The new ones were fitted to the lower parts of the walls, not under the floors. I do wonder though if you have the piping under the floors as I did? If so then one of those could have sprung a leak and no matter if the water supply was turned off, there would still be a cold water tank in the loft and the water in the heating system to feed that leak. This could be the case if your heating is not the modern combination boiler fed directly from the mains water supply. The older systems, as the one I had replaced, had the water supply tanks as previously described.

Good luck with the plumber today getting it sorted out as soon as possible.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 07:58 PM

Hi all

Just an update on the flood.

Plumber has been and he's going to make a start tomorrow.

He thought it was either coming from the bathroom or the central heating but he's ruled out the bathroom so it looks like a leak in the central heating pipes somewhere.

Apparently it's been leaking a while, just we didn't know until it has shown itself by bowing the flooring. It has now spread into the kitchen and has just started making its way into the living room but he think he will be able to save our living room floor but the kitchen and hallway definitely has to come up.

He'll be here at 8.30am to make a start. I'm really grateful to him as he only got back from a long drive from London today and he called here before going home which was good of him.

We feel so much better knowing he knows what to do, he didn't seem overly concerned, I reckon he's seen much worse in his time.

Not looking forward to the upheaval but such is life eh, I'll look on it as a positive and look forward to my new floor lol

I had said a few months back I want a new floor downstairs but we decided not to because we couldn't be bothered with all the mess but now we have no choice.

Thanks for all your responses. You are all invited to my New Floor Party when its done...........Bring a bottle.............AND A MASK!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 10:05 PM

Good luck with it tomorrow, LQ. See, wasn’t it Barry who said the plumber wouldn’t be concerned, and he was right! Keep us posted.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 10:10 PM

Oh Gawd Queenie, what a mess and a worry, and right on top of Christmas too.
Good luck tomorrow, and I really hope he can fix it quickly for you.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top