Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 09:58 PM

Re: Cricut

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Remember how much a die cut used to cost Baz? all those blades stuck to a sheet of plywood eh. Now it can be done in seconds, very clever.
It's called progress I believe, you will no doubt remember negatives, opaque and red tape and all the masking out before a copper printing plate was etched! That is of course if I recall your trade you once mentioned. Look at what has replaced all that now, and all the skilled jobs that were lost!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 10:00 PM

I much prefer these - they are quicker, quieter, do not take up much space, and will cut anything - from paper to balsa wood and aluminium

EBosser

Gemini

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 10:24 PM

That Gemini one looks a nice neat little one Tabs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
It's called progress I believe, you will no doubt remember negatives, opaque and red tape and all the masking out before a copper printing plate was etched! That is of course if I recall your trade you once mentioned. Look at what has replaced all that now, and all the skilled jobs that were lost!
I did film planning and plate making for a few years and quite enjoyed it. All in reverse of course. I also remember when PMTs had nothing to do with the time of the month.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:21 AM

I did film planning and plate making for a few years and quite enjoyed it. All in reverse of course. I also remember when PMTs had nothing to do with the time of the month.
So you could say it was both a 'negative' and 'positive' experience!

I recalled correctly then LD, my part of the trade was typesetting, then paper paste up and film makeup. The 'dies' you mention were I recall, used for cutting, creasing and perforating. There was a platemaking department in the north London company where I worked, that's where I learned about opaque and red tape. Then in came new computer technology. Publishing programs meant many traditional skills, like film planning, were replaced by new skills using those programs. It's all very technical nowadays.

All in all an interesting trade with so many different aspects, many of which gave me a good 55-year working lifetime in that trade. They were definitely 'the good old days', much of it has now gone to the Dogs (the Isle of) one might say, if you see what I mean!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I recalled correctly then LD, my part of the trade was typesetting, then paper paste up and film makeup. The 'dies' you mention were I recall, used for cutting, creasing and perforating. There was a platemaking department in the north London company where I worked, that's where I learned about opaque and red tape. Then in came new computer technology. Publishing programs meant many traditional skills, like film planning, were replaced by new skills using those programs. It's all very technical nowadays.

All in all an interesting trade with so many different aspects, many of which gave me a good 55-year working lifetime in that trade. They were definitely 'the good old days', long gone now though I understand.
Indeed Baz. I also remember when corporate lettering was drawn by hand and took days to complete. Ten seconds on a computer.
Baz46

08-01-2021, 11:57 AM

Indeed Baz. I also remember when corporate lettering was drawn by hand and took days to complete. Ten seconds on a computer.
Apologies, I edited my post slightly without realising you were replying.

Yes, the lettering side was something I was very involved in as by then I was working in advertising. Computers allowed very much more to be achieved though. The amount of time, therefore money, spent on making some product aesthetically pleasing on the advertisement, be that press or television, was really mind-blowing. However, with those new technical skills came a very nice way of earning a good living so no regrets.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 01:29 PM

I watch an awful lot of YouTube channels, I absolutely love watching them, I also get so much inspiration from them, some very creative ladies and men on there, I saw the cricut on there, I just wondered what it was capable of creating. I won’t be buying one, ..

It’s the Home Decor I watch and the diy projects! I also watch the cleaning channels at times, they help me get motivated.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-01-2021, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I watch an awful lot of YouTube channels, I absolutely love watching them, I also get so much inspiration from them, some very creative ladies and men on there, I saw the cricut on there, I just wondered what it was capable of creating. I won’t be buying one, ..

It’s the Home Decor I watch and the diy projects! I also watch the cleaning channels at times, they help me get motivated.

I often get motivated but end up doing nothing about it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top