Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:48 PM

The Dentist

If you were not in any pain, and it was just your 6-monthly check-up, would you still go to your dentist during this lockdown, or postpone your appointment for a few months?

I have got an appointment next week, and I don't think I want to go.
We have our temperature checked on arrival, hands sanitized, and so on, but what about the dentist himself?
He has to lean closely over your face, so cannot possibly 'socially distance', and he is poking about in other people's mouths with those instruments all day long.
Yes I know they are sterilised (or shoudl be), but it's giving me the willies at the mo.

It's a bit too close for comfort I think, and I don't think I want to chance it. Is that paranoia?

What would you do?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:52 PM

Re: The Dentist

Honestly? If it's an NHS dentist think I would go just because I would want to make sure I kept my place on the dentist's patient list. NHS dentists are rarer than hen's teeth at the moment.

If it's private then they won't get rid of you.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:55 PM

Mups I have lost half a tooth so have a fang
I look a picture with my tooth and my specs held together with elastoplast lockdown has its merits.

Thank goodness the tooth doesn't hurt because there is no way I am going near a dentist at the moment unless it is an absolute emergency.

I am hoping I don't have to wait too long for a vaccination , its looking like I make make it to a dentist in June.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:56 PM

If it’s just a general check-up Mups, I would phone them and cancel the appointment. In the last lockdown only people needing treatment were seen. I’m sure they would understand and maybe they could fill your slot with someone else needing urgent treatment.

Unfortunately I have an hour’s appointment with my dentist for an extraction on 2nd Feb so I feel I must have that done.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Honestly? If it's an NHS dentist think I would go just because I would want to make sure I kept my place on the dentist's patient list. NHS dentists are rarer than hen's teeth at the moment.

If it's private then they won't get rid of you.

Thanks for your opinion LD.
They do both Private and NHS - I am NHS.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2021, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I have lost half a tooth so have a fang
I look a picture with my tooth and my specs held together with elastoplast lockdown has its merits.

Thank goodness the tooth doesn't hurt because there is no way I am going near a dentist at the moment unless it is an absolute emergency.

I am hoping I don't have to wait too long for a vaccination , its looking like I make make it to a dentist in June.

That's how I feel too, Meg, and it's worrying me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
If it’s just a general check-up Mups, I would phone them and cancel the appointment. In the last lockdown only people needing treatment were seen. I’m sure they would understand and maybe they could fill your slot with someone else needing urgent treatment.

Unfortunately I have an hour’s appointment with my dentist for an extraction on 2nd Feb so I feel I must have that done.

I think I will cancel Mags.
No point in sitting here worrying about it till next Tuesday.
I know it probably sounds daft, but I don't 'feel' I should go, so perhaps I should heed my gut feeling.

I think I'll ring them first thing Monday. Hope it's not too short notice.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think I will cancel Mags.
No point in sitting here worrying about it till next Tuesday.
I know it probably sounds daft, but I don't 'feel' I should go, so perhaps I should heed my gut feeling.

I think I'll ring them first thing Monday. Hope it's not too short notice.
Mups, don’t worry about it, I don’t expect you will be the only person cancelling a check up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2021, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mups, don’t worry about it, I don’t expect you will be the only person cancelling a check up.

Thank you. I will cancel.
I feel better now I've made a decision, sometimes we just need a bit of help first.

Thanks all.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:55 AM

I saw the dentist in the summer. I was very worried about something. He was totally mummified in PPE and I didn't feel at risk. Had it been just a check up I would not have bothered. I once didn't go to the dentist for 7 years and nothing terrible happened!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top