Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:17 PM

Re: Gas boiler replacing

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
They have much improved styles now. Not like the old days.
Of course, a tankless water heater DOES NOT provide any central heating. That is the job of a furnace. If Lion Queen has the very old style of radiators, then she needs more than I suggested.
Oh yes, of course they have improved.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'very old style' of radiators, though. The most modern heating systems over here including, as Barry says, a combi boiler can make use of the same radiators as other systems.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
A lot of it will depend on how big a boiler you will need, we recently had a new Baxi combi fitted (10 year guarantee) by our local plumber for just under two grand, but British Gas quoted nearly double that, so always get a couple of quotes and ideally three, so that you can get a good comparison before deciding.
Same here Barry ...

Remove existing boiler and flue.
Fit new baxi combi boiler and flue.
Fit new sludge filter.
Fit new inline scale reducer.
Fit timer.
10 year boiler manufactures warranty.
All gas safe notifications included.

£1850 .... Word of mouth recommendation locally.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 04:20 PM

We had a new Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed in the first apartment we bought in Worcester. Then, when we moved to the second apartment, we had another Worcester Bosch installed *. Both worked extremely well and had the added advantage of coming complete with separate controls, which allowed us to programme the CH as and when we chose. This bungalow had a new Ideal combi boiler installed last year and it's not a patch on the WBs we had in the past although it works OK.

* Worcester Bosch Greenstar i25 was the last one we had installed.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 05:29 PM

Have you heard of the 'Warm home scheme?'

The government are offering grants of up to £5,000 if you have an old energy deficient boiler.

You apply to your energy provider. In my case -E-on. They send a surveyor out to look at it & see if you qualify for the grant.

I am at the point where I've applied and waiting for surveyor to come.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Have you heard of the 'Warm home scheme?'

The government are offering grants of up to £5,000 if you have an old energy deficient boiler.

You apply to your energy provider. In my case -E-on. They send a surveyor out to look at it & see if you qualify for the grant.

I am at the point where I've applied and waiting for surveyor to come.
Good advice Carol, I'd forgotten about that.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Same here Barry ...

Fit new sludge filter.
Fit timer.

£1850 .... Word of mouth recommendation locally.
Well you are talking double Dutch to me can you come and fit it for me
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 07:19 PM

Depends on whether you have an existing combi LQ, that is, do you have a tank in the loft and a hot water cylinder, in which case to alter it will need the pipe work altering, if it’s just like for like with no , or very little plumbing , then it should be a bit cheaper, it will need a power flush as part of the guarantee and a mag filter fitted but your plumber should know this..
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 08:03 PM

Fit new sludge filter.
Fit timer.

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Well you are talking double Dutch to me can you come and fit it for me

It's double Dutch to me as well. But that's what he put on the paperwork, and that's what I got .... presumably.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We had a new Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed in the first apartment we bought in Worcester. Then, when we moved to the second apartment, we had another Worcester Bosch installed *. Both worked extremely well and had the added advantage of coming complete with separate controls, which allowed us to programme the CH as and when we chose. This bungalow had a new Ideal combi boiler installed last year and it's not a patch on the WBs we had in the past although it works OK.

* Worcester Bosch Greenstar i25 was the last one we had installed.
We had a Worcester Bosch fitted three years ago, haven't had a spot of bother with it since. We used to have a power shower with a powerful pump before the Bosch was fitted because the old system couldn't generate enough pressure for a decent shower. The Bosch combi was so powerful and efficient it produces lashings of hot water with amazing pressure. I took the pump out of the power shower, didn't need it. I can't speak too highly of the Worcester Bosch, I was surprised how much money we saved on the bills. Only one problem Lion Queen, if Mrs Fox turns on the hot tap in the kitchen, the pressure drops in the shower and it runs cold......Brrrrrr

Our model is the Geenstar CDi Percy brilliant....
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Lion Queen, You might want to consider buying a "on demand" tankless, style water heater.
How does that work? It hangs on the wall and heats water only when a hot water tap is turned on. No demand, no heating. So there can be a big savings in gas bill. There is no sense heating water when you are not even home. Like when you go to the coast for a 3-day week-end.
also this type is very, very much cheaper than the old style water heater that keeps water hot 24/7 even if there is no demand.
one caution, however. Don't buy the cheapest style. It will not give great performance. Do a little investigation and chose one that will put out all the hot water for your home's needs.
I have a Combi boiler which provides hot water and heating on demand. Fitting this kind of boiler into a house which was built with a standard boiler and immersion heater system will mean your "on demand" hot water takes ages to arrive at the tap! It can take quite a while for hot water to come through the system - which was designed for a completely different heating system. On demand is not "instant" and running a bath can take an unreasonable amount of time.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top