Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 09:57 PM

Re: Gas boiler replacing

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I have a Combi boiler which provides hot water and heating on demand. Fitting this kind of boiler into a house which was built with a standard boiler and immersion heater system will mean your "on demand" hot water takes ages to arrive at the tap! It can take quite a while for hot water to come through the system - which was designed for a completely different heating system. On demand is not "instant" and running a bath can take an unreasonable amount of time.
Of course.

If I want a shower in our en suite bathroom, it is hot in under a minute as the boiler is in the garage right behind the bathroom.

On the other hand, in the kitchen at the other end of the house it can take several minutes to run hot.

I suppose if I took the trouble, I could go under the floor and lag all the hot water pipes from the boiler (they already are in the garage), but getting under the floor is a bit more difficult.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course.

If I want a shower in our en suite bathroom, it is hot in under a minute as the boiler is in the garage right behind the bathroom.

On the other hand, in the kitchen at the other end of the house it can take several minutes to run hot.

I suppose if I took the trouble, I could go under the floor and lag all the hot water pipes from the boiler (they already are in the garage), but getting under the floor is a bit more difficult.
I have an electric shower, which is excellent and instant!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:13 PM

I have a Combi boiler which provides hot water and heating on demand. Fitting this kind of boiler into a house which was built with a standard boiler and immersion heater system will mean your "on demand" hot water takes ages to arrive at the tap! It can take quite a while for hot water to come through the system - which was designed for a completely different heating system. On demand is not "instant" and running a bath can take an unreasonable amount of time.
Good point Lindy, however, we live in a bungalow and the water to the kitchen tap is almost instant, but it's a bit of a wait for hot water to arrive at the bathroom. We had the bath taken out so we could have a gynourmous shower.

I lagged all the pipes double thickness JB, and once water arrives at the bathroom it stays hot in the pipes for ages. Just one problem though....
I get the water hot in the shower and wash my hair, I then turn off the shower to soap up. When I turn the shower back on to rinse, I get an initial burst of hot water from the lagged pipes. But when the boiler kicks in, cold water fills the boiler and appears at the shower head for a few seconds.....Brrrrrrrrr I grit my teeth and try to stay under the cold shower until it once again runs hot....Is that brave or what?..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:15 PM

But expensive and low pressure Lindy....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:16 PM

And expensive! Electrical heating is always going to be more expensive than heating by gas.

On the other hand, due to pressure from the greenies, the government have been talking about withdrawing gas supplies so that we all have to use electricity, believe it or not!
They have played some silly tricks, but that's got to be one of the most ridiculous.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good point Lindy, however, we live in a bungalow and the water to the kitchen tap is almost instant, but it's a bit of a wait for hot water to arrive at the bathroom. We had the bath taken out so we could have a gynourmous shower.

I lagged all the pipes double thickness JB, and once water arrives at the bathroom it stays hot in the pipes for ages. Just one problem though....
I get the water hot in the shower and wash my hair, I then turn off the shower to soap up. When I turn the shower back on to rinse, I get an initial burst of hot water from the lagged pipes. But when the boiler kicks in, cold water fills the boiler and appears at the shower head for a few seconds.....Brrrrrrrrr I grit my teeth and try to stay under the cold shower until it once again runs hot....Is that brave or what?..
I've no idea what heating system was in my house (also a bungalow orginally) when first built in the 60's. When I moved in there was a broken gas-fired Aga in the kitchen which I was very happy to get rid of. But the pipes seem to go all around the house - the new boiler is in the garage and the heating system has been connected to the original pipes. I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me............cold shower would bother me a lot!!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

18-01-2021, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And expensive! Electrical heating is always going to be more expensive than heating by gas.

On the other hand, due to pressure from the greenies, the government have been talking about withdrawing gas supplies so that we all have to use electricity, believe it or not!
They have played some silly tricks, but that's got to be one of the most ridiculous.
The electric shower isn't overly expensive and the hot water is instant.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:26 PM

I've got one quote and 2 quotes tomorrow. My friends mum had a new boiler and 9 gas central heating units put in with some other work and it was just over 5000 quid, I'm waiting to hear from him who did that job, the cost incuded fitting and everything. We are only going to replace the boiler though, can't really afford the heaters replacing too right now
Lindyloo
isle of wight

18-01-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've got one quote and 2 quotes tomorrow. My friends mum had a new boiler and 9 gas central heating units put in with some other work and it was just over 5000 quid, I'm waiting to hear from him who did that job, the cost incuded fitting and everything. We are only going to replace the boiler though, can't really afford the heaters replacing too right now
That's a lot! Were they gold-plated?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 10:37 PM

That's a lot! Were they gold-plated?
Do you think? For 9 radiators fitting as well as the boiler and something else but I forgot what the something else was. Oh and it needed new pipework

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top