Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 10:09 PM

Fuse Box puzzle....

About 2.30am last night I woke up for some unknown reason. Checked clock radio for the time but it was off. Put bedside lamp on and it wouldn't come on. Checked main bedroom wall light - fine. All wall lights came on fine throughout.

So I figured it was the sockets and checked the fuse box and the socket switch one was off. Switched it back on and everything fine again.

I don't leave any appliance switched on constantly at the sockets except for the fridge freezer (which I didn't check), washer, router (was off), answerphone (was off), clock radio, bedside light and electric toothbrush (were off). (Cooker ok, but that's on a separate fuse and was fine).

I unplug the kettle, toaster and m/wave every night, and I switch off the table lamps, TV and Freesat box at the sockets each evening.

The switch type things with the fuse at the side of it, are constantly on... ie the electric to the CH boiler, the cooker hood and the burglar alarm. I never thought to check those to see if they were off but I remember when I switched on the socket switch in the fuse box I thought I heard a noise in the boiler area as if it was coming on. I can't be sure of that as the a/phone and clock radio were beeping.
All those switches with the fuse by the side of work fine - but I'm not sure (as I didn't check), if they went off too.

I was asleep in bed, so not using any appliance and can't work out what happened.

Everything's fine now but it's puzzling me. Any ideas please?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 11:06 PM

Re: Fuse Box puzzle....

Could have been a temporary power surge when the freezer turned itself on. What is the rating of the MCB (fuse)?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
About 2.30am last night I woke up for some unknown reason. Checked clock radio for the time but it was off. Put bedside lamp on and it wouldn't come on. Checked main bedroom wall light - fine. All wall lights came on fine throughout.

So I figured it was the sockets and checked the fuse box and the socket switch one was off. Switched it back on and everything fine again.

I don't leave any appliance switched on constantly at the sockets except for the fridge freezer (which I didn't check), washer, router (was off), answerphone (was off), clock radio, bedside light and electric toothbrush (were off). (Cooker ok, but that's on a separate fuse and was fine).

I unplug the kettle, toaster and m/wave every night, and I switch off the table lamps, TV and Freesat box at the sockets each evening.

The switch type things with the fuse at the side of it, are constantly on... ie the electric to the CH boiler, the cooker hood and the burglar alarm. I never thought to check those to see if they were off but I remember when I switched on the socket switch in the fuse box I thought I heard a noise in the boiler area as if it was coming on. I can't be sure of that as the a/phone and clock radio were beeping.
All those switches with the fuse by the side of work fine - but I'm not sure (as I didn't check), if they went off too.

I was asleep in bed, so not using any appliance and can't work out what happened.

Everything's fine now but it's puzzling me. Any ideas please?

If the boiler is plugged into a wall socket I suspect the boiler had a sudden draw of power which exceeded that of the fuse in the fuse box and thus tripped the switch.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Could have been a temporary power surge when the freezer turned itself on. What is the rating of the MCB (fuse)?
You know I'm going to say what??? don't you

All I know is the plug on the FF is 13 amp.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

26-01-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
If the boiler is plugged into a wall socket I suspect the boiler had a sudden draw of power which exceeded that of the fuse in the fuse box and thus tripped the switch.

No, it's not plugged into a wall 'socket' Dodge.

I don't know what you call these things (below) with a fuse on the side, so I called those used by the alarm, cooker hood and the CH 'switch type things with a fuse on the side' .
The CH is connected to that similar type of switch.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	31SXAdc6xPL._AC_SX385_.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	14638  
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

26-01-2021, 05:42 PM

No problems since, so all must be fine and dandy. I was wondering while trying to get back to sleep that night, if an insect had crawled into one of the unused sockets in the extension lead on the floor, which my t/brush is plugged into
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:54 PM

No problems since, so all must be fine and dandy. I was wondering while trying to get back to sleep that night, if an insect had crawled into one of the unused sockets in the extension lead on the floor, which my t/brush is plugged into
Unlikely. The sockets have shutters.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

26-01-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Unlikely. The sockets have shutters.
I was being facetious Bes
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 06:17 PM

I was being facetious Bes
I once had a moth fly into a bedside light lamp. It was not a happy bunny..........
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 07:55 PM

You know I'm going to say what??? don't you

All I know is the plug on the FF is 13 amp.
An MCB is a type of switch in your main fusebox. They replaced the old type fuses. They are designed to switch off when there's a fault but sometimes switch off when there's a power surge like a lightbulb popping. (Nuisance tripping)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top