Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:04 AM

Re: Bowel cancer screening

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I guess it should arrive shortly, Annie, as the said within a couple of weeks and that was early last week.

I wonder why they write to you to tell you it's coming?
Don't understand that.
So you can practice Mups....
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:59 PM

Do it! If you get offered the test don't refuse it. My eldest son (57) has just been declared free of his bowel cancer after a full year of treatment including both Chemo and Radiotherapy. The effects and after effects of the treatment were far worse than the cancer itself. Never assume because you have no symptoms that don't have the disease. By the time you are displaying symptoms it could well be too late. Please don't be one of those that think " It won't happen to me I feel too well"
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:12 PM

I did it the other week like you say its a bit unpleasant but coukd save our lives. My uncle Bobby died aged 66 of bowel cancer.
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I used to do it regularly but they stopped sending me a kit. In Scotland there is a cut off point if you are over a certain age. Don't know if it is the same in England.

A kit?

What are you supposed to do with that? (just curious!)

Here one goes to see a gastroenterologist and will have to submit to the ´extended harbour-tour´, or the internal camera surveillance.

And, people, believe me, go for it! If possible, depending on the country you live in and the insurance, do it once a year!

It saved my life.
Annette
Germany
Annette is female  Annette has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Do it! If you get offered the test don't refuse it. My eldest son (57) has just been declared free of his bowel cancer after a full year of treatment including both Chemo and Radiotherapy. The effects and after effects of the treatment were far worse than the cancer itself. Never assume because you have no symptoms that don't have the disease. By the time you are displaying symptoms it could well be too late. Please don't be one of those that think " It won't happen to me I feel too well"
Here one is delcared ´cured´ five years after. Every three months for a check-up, after a year every six months until five years. If nothing happened one is cured.

Ys,the side effects are nasty, but...the side-effects are not deadly, colon cancer is.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->

Wise words, EZ.
So glad your son was a survivor.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So you can practice Mups....

Mucky pup.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:10 PM

I guess it should arrive shortly, Annie, as the said within a couple of weeks and that was early last week.

I wonder why they write to you to tell you it's coming?

Don't understand that.
So you don't think it is junk mail and bin it, perhaps?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:11 PM

Thank you for your opinions everyone, and yes, as I said in the beginning, I will do it as i think it a worthwhile test.
I was mainly interested in what others think about doing the test though.
Percy is correct about the tests stop at 75 unless you apply for yourself after that age. I remember seeing that on my results letter a couple of years ago.

They stop the mammograms a bit younger than that I believe. Is it 70?

We are lucky to have these free tests available to us.
To whom does one apply? GP or Hospital?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:21 PM

The test kits are a lot easier these days - they've changed from the lolly-stick design to what looks like one of those small brushes that you use to clean between the gaps in your teeth. Just stick in a stool sample, put it into the supplied vial, and send it back.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top