Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:34 AM

Re: What Would You Say Have Been The Biggest ‘Rip-Offs’’?

I needed a new boiler. I chose the middle quote from a local man . The day arrived he stayed 2 hours . He came in and out when he wanted doing an hour here and there . He kept going onto other jobs . I had a pre booked holiday I couldn't cancel so he assured me on my return it would be complete . I left my key with him ( no choice ) and he suggested a payment cheque . Oh he was charming . I returned 7 days later and he hadn't been near . I rang an old boyfriend upset and in need of support , he rang him and gave him a few choice words to finish the job . Gas fitter arrived 3 days later . Finished the job .

A year later I was told by British Gas he had blocked an electric socket with pipes and they must be moved health and safety . I paid £150 to an electrician and a gas fitter to change everything for safety . A lot of money to me as I was on minimum wage of £5 an hour .

I tried to go through the channels to sue him , it took 10 months of writing letters which were returned unopened . I couldn't face anymore stress so I gave up in the end .

I've had another new boiler since and went with SSE knowing I wouldn't have any problems .

I've been a trusting fool many times and there are others . I'm a different person now sadly I trust less
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:35 AM

Ariel....open the box, half full, darn rip off!.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:37 AM

Paying for wires to come into the house.

Why pay a daily standing charge for electricity, or a charge to have a phone line when you don't even use a land phone any more?
They're a con, pure and simple.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:52 AM

Inheritance Tax!

You work hard, pay all your taxes, and are able, after very careful housekeeping, to save some in whatever savings "banks" you might have.

Try to help your offspring, by financially supporting them, whilst you are still alive, and after, in your assets, then our lovely Government feels it has to tax it all again!

Not everyone is able to lay off funds to some foreign island.

Rant Over!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:08 PM

One of those home visit valet on a car I had a few yrs back, biggest rip off ever, never had one since.

Asda is a great place to go, to have your car given a good valet!.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Council Tax.....
I agree.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:46 PM

Energy smart meters, they are supposed to 'save energy' on the assumption that we are all so stupid we can't read a meter and submit a reading and we leave appliances on and use fuel unnecessarily regardless of the fact we pay an exorbitant amount for it .

They may be 'free to install' but someone will have to pay for them the official is..
'smart meters will be paid for through everyone's energy bills'

So we will all eventually have to pay for something many of us do not want .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Please tell me what rip-offs, you’ve encountered or heard about.
None ... so far!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

26-01-2021, 01:10 PM

TV, license ,biggest rip off ever, we don’t have any say in what is aired, that is why I no longer have a license.imo.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 01:24 PM

My latest rip off is tax, the HMRC in their wisdom did not send me tax returns for three years, so naturally being a pensioner I thought I didn't have to pay tax. Wrong, a few weeks ago I got a tax demand for three years of back tax. Due, the letter said, to me getting more than my allowance per year.
To say I was surprised is an understatement. I rang them & was advised by the person I finally spoke to, to send a letter the the MHRC, asking why I'd got three years all at once. Posted the letter, but heard nothing back.
So as it's getting near the time I should pay I rang them again. The person who finally answered said that it was the simple assessment people who dealt with this & she couldn't help, so I said to her could I speak to them, she asked me to hang on, a little while later another person came on the line, I explained who I was & why I was ringing etc, she seemed surprised that I had got through to her, said the other person shouldn't have put me through. I didn't say what the name of that person was. Secretive though aren't they.
Anyway got a lot of waffle from this second person about how they had changed the system & Covid etc, usual load of flannel to account for me not getting the tax bills every year. She also said I was in arrears with payments, 'how can I be in arrears when I didn't even know I owed tax', I countered, another load of waffle from this woman, Outcome is, I still have to pay, even though it's their fault, over £900 in back taxes. Luckily I can afford it, it was the principle of the fact they hadn't sent me tax returns each year for three years that really annoyed me. She said to write three seperate cheques for each year with the number of each letter on the back of each of the cheques. Nice of her to help!!! I have done this, just need to post them now & say goodbye to over £900.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top