Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:26 PM

Re: A "Bloke" Or a "Wimp" Which One?

I seldom undertook any DIY because of work commitments one way or another but we were able to get tradespeople in. That still applies.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 02:33 PM

The only problem with getting trades people in is that I am never really satisfied. Our living room was repaired and decorated after an insurance claim but it still bugs me that the finish was not as good as I would have done myself.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The only problem with getting trades people in is that I am never really satisfied. Our living room was repaired and decorated after an insurance claim but it still bugs me that the finish was not as good as I would have done myself.
That's what bugs me, getting workman in who have no pride in their work. For me, that's as important as fixing whatever problem needs fixing.

My dad turned his hand to anything and took so much pride in everything he did. He even fixed and kitted out a shell of a boat and it was top notch inside.

All blokes in my life have been like that, (bar one and he managed to fuse the whole house after he'd messed with the Christmas lights ). I expect them to be like my dad because he set the bar high if you get my drift.

I'm afraid if blokes haven't got that ability in them, ie to turn their hand to anything whilst taking pride in what they do, then I tend to put them in a certain category.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 04:29 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I always worked on my cars up until I bought my first brand new car. As soon as I lifted the bonnet (hood) and looked in, I decided that was the time to hang up my tools and manuals.

I stopped decorating when I found couldn't hold a paintbrush steady. I thought I had the beginnings of Parkinson's so I asked my doctor. He said no but it was nerve related and there was nothing to be done.

Cooking, cleaning, etc - not a problem.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Your definitions are too black and white and so artificial that your question has no relevance for me whatsoever.
Well, Thanks for your comments,

I Think!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 06:43 PM

Hi

Definately a wimp.

DIY means don't involve yourself.

I avoid trouble when ever possible.

Really not worth the hassle.

I do have standards and principles.

I have limits I will not back down from.

I am not a proud man, I do not like trouble.

I can take any amount of personal insults.

Threaten a woman or a kid and I will not backdown..

I was paid and trained to protect others.

I can be an absolute nightmare to deal with.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If a "Bloke" is someone who is determined to do everything, about the house, about the car, about the garden, without ever seeming to suffer the embarassment of asking for help.

Say a Bloke is Someone who keeps going, when ill, without admitting that there's a problem, who wishes to sort it himself (herself) also without asking for help?.Someone who is a master cook & makes all the meals.

On the other hand, let's say a "Wimp" is someone who can't change the fuse on a house electric plug ("we can get someone in to do that"), someone who pays to have the car serviced, even down to getting the lamp bulbs changed, the house cleaned, et cetera.

Someone who only would eat ready mades, if there was no one there to cook for them!

Are you one of either of these?

Do you live with one?

First off I could never have been called a wimp.
All my life I picked up on advice from my 20 odd jobs from building sites to shipyards and steel works, landlord of 3 pubs and run 4 individually of course.
Put most of that into my homes or other jobs.
The reason I bought my first home in Walworth was because Southwark Council Contractors were bloody useless at fixing roof slates/plumbing/heating/window sash's and much more.
So I told our lass get it priced up girl, we had done our 20 years as council tenants (50 grand off ).

I love to cook do it all now I have retired, never bothered with the kitchen when I worked nights for nearly 20 years. The kitchen is now my kingdom my darling wife poor thing still as a few years to go before she retires but is still grafting every working day from home.
I chauffeur her everywhere she wants to go, I do all the gardening although because of my ill health last year was really a washout .
Yesterday and today I had all the carpet up on the upper landing and the floor boards fixing creaking and grumbling hot water pipes. Job done but now I am suffering my back is killing me.
I tell you what though these days if anyone wants to call me a wimp I will not attack or gut them.
I will just take it on the chin after all a dodgy ticker/riddled with emphysema/diabetes/ oh and a head ache and bad back I reckon I can now laugh at the world and just let it pass me by.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 09:14 PM

Definitely a wimp.

DIY means don't involve yourself.

Top notch answer Swimmy..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
That's what bugs me, getting workman in who have no pride in their work. For me, that's as important as fixing whatever problem needs fixing.

My dad turned his hand to anything and took so much pride in everything he did. He even fixed and kitted out a shell of a boat and it was top notch inside.

All blokes in my life have been like that, (bar one and he managed to fuse the whole house after he'd messed with the Christmas lights ). I expect them to be like my dad because he set the bar high if you get my drift.

I'm afraid if blokes haven't got that ability in them, ie to turn their hand to anything whilst taking pride in what they do, then I tend to put them in a certain category.
When I was working as a tradesman, I always tried to make the same effort as I would expect at home. it never let me down.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-01-2021, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'm somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I always worked on my cars up until I bought my first brand new car. As soon as I lifted the bonnet (hood) and looked in, I decided that was the time to hang up my tools and manuals.

I stopped decorating when I found couldn't hold a paintbrush steady. I thought I had the beginnings of Parkinson's so I asked my doctor. He said no but it was nerve related and there was nothing to be done.

Cooking, cleaning, etc - not a problem.
No, you are not a wimp Percy. You are a retired Bloke.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top