Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:03 AM

Re: A "Bloke" Or a "Wimp" Which One?

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
First off I could never have been called a wimp.
All my life I picked up on advice from my 20 odd jobs from building sites to shipyards and steel works, landlord of 3 pubs and run 4 individually of course.
Put most of that into my homes or other jobs.
The reason I bought my first home in Walworth was because Southwark Council Contractors were bloody useless at fixing roof slates/plumbing/heating/window sash's and much more.
So I told our lass get it priced up girl, we had done our 20 years as council tenants (50 grand off ).

I love to cook do it all now I have retired, never bothered with the kitchen when I worked nights for nearly 20 years. The kitchen is now my kingdom my darling wife poor thing still as a few years to go before she retires but is still grafting every working day from home.
I chauffeur her everywhere she wants to go, I do all the gardening although because of my ill health last year was really a washout .
Yesterday and today I had all the carpet up on the upper landing and the floor boards fixing creaking and grumbling hot water pipes. Job done but now I am suffering my back is killing me.
I tell you what though these days if anyone wants to call me a wimp I will not attack or gut them.
I will just take it on the chin after all a dodgy ticker/riddled with emphysema/diabetes/ oh and a head ache and bad back I reckon I can now laugh at the world and just let it pass me by.
I think you are more of a Geezer than a Bloke. Top Geezer that is.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all of the answers.

The reason for asking was based in a discussion, overheard on the radio, of what it meant to be a "Bloke".

Apparently the term was founded in the Midlands but was later used widely in Cockney areas & even Australia.

The speaker said a Bloke was a bit more than just a man.
He was someone who was proud of his masculinity and made sure that he acted accordingly.

He would see anyone who "got someone in " to do a job, to have a weakness.

As noted on this topic, Ladies, nowadays, and perhaps for ever, have done the same, and, rightly, can claim the title.

OK, a bit of nothingness chat really, but, hopefully, good for a giggle!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Thanks for all of the answers.

The reason for asking was based in a discussion, overheard on the radio, of what it meant to be a "Bloke".

Apparently the term was founded in the Midlands but was later used widely in Cockney areas & even Australia.

The speaker said a Bloke was a bit more than just a man.
He was someone who was proud of his masculinity and made sure that he acted accordingly.

He would see anyone who "got someone in " to do a job, to have a weakness.

As noted on this topic, Ladies, nowadays, and perhaps for ever, have done the same, and, rightly, can claim the title.

OK, a bit of nothingness chat really, but, hopefully, good for a giggle!
Ted I originate from a large Northern family 2 brothers and 6 sisters.
It may surprise you to know apart from myself it was only my sisters that had get up and go in them.
They taught me a lot in my early years about decorating my brothers were mothered and smothered and never left home and hardly did any work once they found they both had bad backs.
A common ailment around those parts, I would personally call it lazyitus.

One time our lass suffered one of my brother's for a week before she bought him a train ticket back to Middlesbrough and told me to drop him a Kings Cross and make sure he gets on the right train back to my parents.

I am pretty certain if I never got in line she would have done the same with me.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Ted I originate from a large Northern family 2 brothers and 6 sisters.
It may surprise you to know apart from myself it was only my sisters that had get up and go in them.
They taught me a lot in my early years about decorating my brothers were mothered and smothered and never left home and hardly did any work once they found they both had bad backs.
A common ailment around those parts, I would personally call it lazyitus.

One time our lass suffered one of my brother's for a week before she bought him a train ticket back to Middlesbrough and told me to drop him a Kings Cross and make sure he gets on the right train back to my parents.

I am pretty certain if I never got in line she would have done the same with me.
Well said, LF!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top