Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 08:50 PM

Re: Food poisoning

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Minx sorry to hear you have food poisoning, hope you will be better soon . Try some fresh Ginger grated into warm water and strained its great for poorly tummies.

I won't touch takaway food except fish and chips cooked in hot fat in my sight and I haven't had those for years.

The last time I remember having food poisoning was January 1977 on the day I married. We took our witnesses out for a meal, I had prawns and was terribly ill that night .
Thanks Meg, I had some soothing ginger tea earlier on. I can’t seem to keep anything in
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Sorry to hear that Minx.

What was in your takeaway? A lot of food poisoning is caused by rice. If it’s cooked and then not stored properly and reheated it can grow spores and make you very ill.
I worked rather late Monday to meet a deadline so my son asked if we could order a curry. He had prawns and I had a bean curry as I usually prefer vegetarian. Big mistake!
Turns out, beans can be deadly if not cooked well. Something to do with the toxin lectin.

You live and learn
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

27-01-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I am very reluctant to order take away TBH ,don"t quite know what goes on behind the scenes, specially in these troubled times .
They say hindsight is a perfect science. Now I know
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

27-01-2021, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Probably had food poisoning three times. At a guess. I remember one was after eating an M&S scotch egg. 1970s or 80s. Another time I was away in Bournemouth and wanted to try the Chinese buffet, on my last evening, rather than dining in the hotel. I got home the next day just in time!!!

And a few years ago I had the gastroenteritis that had me eventually admitted to hospital. I was ill at home for over 2 weeks before my GP would do something. Whether that was food poisoning I am not sure, but when the hospital put me on antibiotics, and I’d pleaded with my GP all that time for some, to no avail, I began to feel better.

It’s a horrible experience, having food poisoning. The stomach pains, for one.

Hope you feel better soon, Minx.
What’s wrong with these doctors! I had a virtual consult with a doctor since my family GP recently passed away due to Covid-19. He told me that I needed to get tested for Covid-19 just in case! I mean really! I had already diagnosed myself with the assistance of Doctor Google. Just give me the antibiotics and rehydrate meds already! Needless to say, I didn’t go get tested.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

27-01-2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sorry to hear that Minx, I hope you feel better soon.

I have never suffered with food poisoning, thank goodness but I've heard it can be nasty
There is no words to describe the tummy ache and projectiles coming out both ends as your body rids itself of the toxin. I’m drained and weakened. I managed a little clear chicken broth earlier without hurling.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

27-01-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Sorry to read about the food poisoning Minx get well soooooooon.

I have only started digesting my food after 2 weeks of it coming back on me.
Will not go into the gory details.
Doc says it may well be something to do with my diabetes.
Gave nearly a armful of blood yesterday morning for various test's.
I’m sorry to hear that Longfellow. It’s an unpleasant business. Let’s see what the tests reveal!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ouch - not nice - I hope you have reported the 'take away' place to the authorities - it obviously needs investigating!

Once, a long time ago, I had Campylobacter following a meal at a Chinese restaurant - was ill for a week. Turned out they were defrosting chicken by running it under the hot water tap! Not a good idea.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Me too, Tabby.
Never felt so ill in me life.

The Doc confirmed it after test results.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
What’s wrong with these doctors! I had a virtual consult with a doctor since my family GP recently passed away due to Covid-19. He told me that I needed to get tested for Covid-19 just in case! I mean really! I had already diagnosed myself with the assistance of Doctor Google. Just give me the antibiotics and rehydrate meds already! Needless to say, I didn’t go get tested.

Minx, didn't your doctor send a sample away for testing before he disgnosed???

Take it easy, and I hope you're on the mend again soon.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:37 PM

I guess the doctor was being cautious. Diarrhoea is a less common symptom of covid. A friend had it but he also had hallucinations and a high fever.

I hope you are feeling better Minx. I last had food poisoning courtesy of a Premier inn salad back in 2002. I think I was diagnosed with norovirus. I also had it a couple of times in the 80s. Once from pork chops when I didn't really know how to cook. It's really horrible. You have my sympathies.

Black tea with no sugar and toast is the best x
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:56 PM

I hope you are feeling better Minx, getting anything wrong with you while Covid is doing the rounds can make it very difficult to get a proper diagnosis over the phone, and even harder to get the treatment that you need.

Prawns are Foxy's nemesis, they have the same effect as Green Kryptonite has on Superman. It took me several bouts of crippling illness before it became apparent it was the prawns that done it....I can eat every other type of seafood, including shrimps and scampy, so it's quite a mystery why it's just prawns that my body rejects....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top