Join for free
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 05:39 PM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
But the UK is leaving, the argument now is how it leaves. You want a no deal, which is fair enough, but I find it hard to believe that all 17.5M share that view. Surely those who would prefer a deal should be respected too, that’s what democracy is all about.
We have to turn the pages back, and Mrs May won the 2017 General Election on the promise of 'deal' or 'no deal '. So it's always been in the arena .

The basic difference now is Corbyn and supporters want to bring down the Government and step in. Marxists, Leninists, and Trotskyites . Those MP's who don't fall into the same category would be out on their ear post haste.
Nothing to do with another referendum any longer they didn't want Mays deal because of the backstop, or a 'no deal '. This is all pissing in the wind . Labour simply want to be in No. 10. with Corbyn at the helm, and I bet first on the list to go would be the Monarchy.
Scotland in that situation would certainly run to Europe, and the same problems would start all over again..

Be careful what you wish for.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Or more mature thinking and pride in our national identity and the importance that it is better to be independent especially from a corrupt undemocratic monstrosity which the EU now is.

Maastricht should NEVER have been accepted at least not without a referendum.

When last consulted the British people chose to join a trading bloc, not what Maastricht turned it into.
You know, I sometimes think it would be fun if we were forced into remaining in the EU.

All the little snowflakes would be out rejoicing in their blu-with-yellow-stars flags...

...and then receiving their call-up papers to join the EU Army, sent to defend their glorious empire from the Russians when they see the opportunity to expand westwards.

That would really make me laugh!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You know, I sometimes think it would be fun if we were forced into remaining in the EU.

All the little snowflakes would be out rejoicing in their blu-with-yellow-stars flags...

...and then receiving their call-up papers to join the EU Army, sent to defend their glorious empire from the Russians when they see the opportunity to expand westwards.

That would really make me laugh!
The USSR was probably a threat but Russia and the Russian Federation is an entirely different animal from the USSR. It is potentially a very powerful and much needed ally against a spreading common enemy that most people don't recognise IS the enemy that it is.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The USSR was probably a threat but Russia and the Russian Federation is an entirely different animal from the USSR. It is potentially a very powerful and much needed ally against a spreading common enemy that most people don't recognise IS the enemy that it is.
In all seriousness, I agree with you.

If you should read back (a long way) you might find me explaining how I respect and understand the Russian mind set.

They have been seriously threatened and invaded twice in the not-too-distant past: Napoleon and Hitler. In each case, they repelled them and really gave them something to think about.

Since the Second World War, Russia (or USSR) have made the effort to maintain a 'buffer state' of several East European countries for their own protection. That buffer state has now gone, of course.

If, as I suspect, the EU continues to believe in its expansionism (they've already threatened Russia regarding the Ukraine), they might find themselves trying to beat a path to the doors of Moscow... led by all the little pro-EU snowflakes they'll have recruited into their 'EU Army'!

They'll be certain to discover that Russia is no push-over, and America won't be helping them.

We must have no part of it.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:26 AM

In all seriousness, I agree with you.

If you should read back (a long way) you might find me explaining how I respect and understand the Russian mind set.

They have been seriously threatened and invaded twice in the not-too-distant past: Napoleon and Hitler. In each case, they repelled them and really gave them something to think about.

Since the Second World War, Russia (or USSR) have made the effort to maintain a 'buffer state' of several East European countries for their own protection. That buffer state has now gone, of course.

If, as I suspect, the EU continues to believe in its expansionism (they've already threatened Russia regarding the Ukraine), they might find themselves trying to beat a path to the doors of Moscow... led by all the little pro-EU snowflakes they'll have recruited into their 'EU Army'!

They'll be certain to discover that Russia is no push-over, and America won't be helping them.

We must have no part of it.
Steady lads! Your lapsing into fantasy now.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:39 AM

Far from it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-08-2019, 01:33 PM

We shall see. It has happened before!
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 08:51 AM

We shall see. It has happened before!
Sorry, but the days of Napoleon, WW2 and the British Empire are over.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Only if you don't fight to save it weedeek.....

You can take my life......But you will never take my freedom!..

Didn't a brave Scottish bloke say that?
Some things are worth fighting for....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Could the honourable member* please explain how anything I said in my post #114 could be regarded as lapsing into fantasy?

(*Sorry, just watching Boris in Parliament on the news.)

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top