Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Entertainment...

This is my favourite artist of all time on one of his frequent visits to the UK. On the stage at Batley variety club in Yorkshire.
I seem to remember a weekly televised show from there. Oh such a long time ago now - I wonder if the place still exists... All the big night clubs/variety venues have closed in our area now. One that I used to go to a lot - the Commodore at Nottingham where I saw The Big O twice, is now a Sainsburys supermarket. Such a shame....

Are there any good entertainment venues where you live?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Re: Entertainment...

Love that photo Carol. We used to have dance halls scattered all over the city up to the 1980’s, many of them would feature big stars including The Big O, we even had a country chap used to do a take off of him with a country accent, he called himself “The Bog O” very funny act as I recall. Sadly they are all either knocked down or converted into something else now. There is still plenty of entertainment in the pubs though, but the pubs are not the same here since the smoking ban, they never get a full house anymore smoking folks prefer to stay at home nowadays, how times change.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 06:38 PM

I love variety acts, a bit of everything - now, what do we have, not a lot.
The clubs we knew have gone, no variety on TV unless you include BGT and I don't ..........
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:04 AM

I don't quire understand why this thread, which is about closed down dance halls and entertainment venues, has been moved from General Chat and been put with Film, TV & Books?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Hmmmm, maybe the thread should be renamed, then? Would make more sense.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I don't quire understand why this thread, which is about closed down dance halls and entertainment venues, has been moved from General Chat and been put with Film, TV & Books?
Hello Carol as your title suggests, this thread was moved to the Entertainment section of the forum.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

20-08-2014, 10:41 AM

OK no problem - my own fault for chosing unsuitable title..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top