Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 01:06 PM

Motorway - Life in the fast lane

This series (docu) has been a real eye opener, the work these folk do to keep the motorways running through hazardous conditions, accidents etc was shocking at times.
The men and women that do this rotten job are fab !
(Think they get overlooked in the appreciation stakes)
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:07 PM

Re: Motorway - Life in the fast lane

Worrying thing is seeing the heavy goods drivers waking up at the last minute and swerving to avoid the road obstruction. Probably watching videos on their tablets as they drive.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:13 PM

It's certainly not a job that I would want to do.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
Worrying thing is seeing the heavy goods drivers waking up at the last minute and swerving to avoid the road obstruction. Probably watching videos on their tablets as they drive.
Used to love to go for a drive - not possible now - a shame, but then again .....No .......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Not something I could watch, the very thought of going on a motorway these days makes me feel sick with fear.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not something I could watch, the very thought of going on a motorway these days makes me feel sick with fear.
Exactly why I so appreciate those workers - hope I 'never' have to go on the motorway again ........
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2014, 01:37 AM

Although I havent seen any of this I dont really need to as I work in a Regional Control Centre for The Highways Agency as an Off Road Traffic Officer. Its our job to either Dispatch On Road Officers to Incidents or Answer calls coming in and make outgoing calls or set signs and signals on the Motorways. Its normally a very hectic time with so much going on and we see a lot of what is happening via the CCTV cameras we have .

Tonight Im working on a nightshift 'at break at the moment' and so far it has not been too busy.

Only 4 hours to go, lets hope it stays this way ! !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Hello Steve - yes the control centres were featured on these very busy motorways - you see it all - scary stuff !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top