Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:58 AM

Re: My Bogan Holiday

Nice photos Bruce. We did a cruise some years ago, it was very nice but not something I particularly wanted to do again. Itīs the thought that I canīt get off when I want to or take as much time exploring places as I would like. Itīs like the car being out of action for the day, I might not want to go anywhere, but the mere fact the car isnīt available in case I do, really annoys me.

We have friends who seem to spend most of their lives cruising. They have done 2 cruises already this year, they are off again on one December 16th to 8th/9th January (not too sure of return date) and have already booked a Christmas 2017 cruise, Caribbean again but evidently including places they havenīt been. I know one stop will be Cuba. Each to their own, itīs just not for me.

Glad you enjoyed your experience anyway Bruce.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 11:40 AM

Personally I'd hate a cruise I think

Mum done her first this year and she loved every minute of it

I think for her, being a widow, it made for a "safe" holiday. Whilst she is still
Independent and even ran her own business till earlier this year, holidays were becoming harder to take. The cruise suited her well. She felt independent but was completely taken care off
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Personally I'd hate a cruise I think

Mum done her first this year and she loved every minute of it

I think for her, being a widow, it made for a "safe" holiday. Whilst she is still
Independent and even ran her own business till earlier this year, holidays were becoming harder to take. The cruise suited her well. She felt independent but was completely taken care off
I can understand that Missy. I would think cruises are ideal for an elderly person alone, especially one who liked company.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
your link is to facebook and not being a facebook member the link is useless. Can you just put the photos on here please.

Also the word BOGAN is not known in the UK, must be a local term for something or other
Cruising some people like and others not. I already have my next cruise booked and can't wait to see those Caribbean Islands.

Maybe Bruce you should go a bit further afield than the islands right next door to your country, must be like going from home to home
Grumpy old man with nothing better to do comes to mind.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
your link is to facebook and not being a facebook member the link is useless. Can you just put the photos on here please.

Also the word BOGAN is not known in the UK, must be a local term for something or other
Cruising some people like and others not. I already have my next cruise booked and can't wait to see those Caribbean Islands.

Maybe Bruce you should go a bit further afield than the islands right next door to your country, must be like going from home to home
You don't need to be a member of FB to see the photos, I'm not a member either .... just click 'Not Now'.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 01:30 PM

Great photos Bruce
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is like Butlins without the Redcoats, without the wall to wall entertainment and without the ability to leave the camp. For parents with with up to early/mid teen kids I can see it being an ideal cheap family holiday for the same reasons as my parents took me to Butlins.
I can't agree with the above at all and I can only conclude that OP didn't research and choose the right cruise line. There are so many out there. Some are like club 18-30s, some are full of drunks and ravers, then there are some at the other end of the spectrum, much more refined, elegant, even decadent, every night is special, lot's of lovely people. And there are cruise lines in between.

I've done 26 cruises and only 2 were like Butlins and that was entirely down to the specific ship I chose and the time of year I cruised. Comments about not being able to leave camp are misleading. You get to leave the ship every day you are in port, letting you taste a new country or place every day, explore at your will, travel, do excursions, walk, eat local food, meet local people etc, in the firm comfort that your air-conditioned 5 star cabin and ship is waiting for you on your return.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
However I cannot for the life of me see the attraction for people of my age unless you are a glutton or have your own postcode - there is absolutely unlimited food. However I can sit around, read a book, drink beer and go to the occasional show at home for far less expense.
Yes you can do those things for less expense. That's not what cruising is about. That's like saying, I can go to my local Chinese restaurant far more cheaply than buying a plane ticket to China and staying in a hotel there.

Cruising is a unique way of travelling in which you know and accept that you will be a part of a wider collective of passengers. Meeting people and interacting is a large part of the experience and most people make many new friends. It's an environment where you are waited on hand and foot. No cooking to do, no washing up. You room is tidied every day, your bed made every day, bins emptied, tea/coffee biscuits replaced.

It's an environment where you have a wide range of amenities and facilities within short walking distance instead of having to get in a car or bus and go walking around town. You have shops, cafes/coffee bars, quiet lounges, bars, libraries, computer centres, gyms, games rooms, spas, swimming pools, sunbathing areas, card rooms, theatres, cinemas and much more, all there within the length of a ship. You can choose to use them or not at your preference.

All the food and entertainment is "free", built into the ticket price which includes of course sea-going passage around the world for many days and all the service you get. I doubt very much it is cheaper to get the same things at home. You would be talking about having an in-house cleaner, in-house caterers, transport to shops, cafes, bars, theatres, cinemas and the like plus then the cost of chartering a boat to the places you want to visit including porterage for your luggage and car parking and all the rest.

Cruise lines have every facet of a voyage nailed down and perfected and the experience is for most, utterly brilliant. You DO however have to have a certain mind set and ability to accept you are part of a wider collective of people and the humility and willingness to compromise at times for the wider benefit of all. Anyone who lacks such qualities is best to avoid cruising.

In the end, the specific choice of cruise line, the specific choice of ship and the time of year chosen, are all VITAL elements of ensuring a wonderful holiday at sea. One can not generalise the art of cruising from the experience of one cruise or one cruise line any more than you can generalise and say something like "Eating out at restaurants is not for me, I went to Nandos and it was just a Butlins style smash and grab".
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You don't need to be a member of FB to see the photos, I'm not a member either .... just click 'Not Now'.
I can't see the photos either. I don't get any "not now" option. I just get a Facebook Sign Up or login option.

It all depends on what version of Windows and browser you have I suspect. I even disabled my firewall to try it and that made no difference.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I can't agree with the above at all and I can only conclude that OP didn't research and choose the right cruise line. There are so many out there. Some are like club 18-30s, some are full of drunks and ravers, then there are some at the other end of the spectrum, much more refined, elegant, even decadent, every night is special, lot's of lovely people. And there are cruise lines in between.

I've done 26 cruises and only 2 were like Butlins and that was entirely down to the specific ship I chose and the time of year I cruised. Comments about not being able to leave camp are misleading. You get to leave the ship every day you are in port, letting you taste a new country or place every day, explore at your will, travel, do excursions, walk, eat local food, meet local people etc, in the firm comfort that your air-conditioned 5 star cabin and ship is waiting for you on your return.

Yes you can do those things for less expense. That's not what cruising is about. That's like saying, I can go to my local Chinese restaurant far more cheaply than buying a plane ticket to China and staying in a hotel there.

Cruising is a unique way of travelling in which you know and accept that you will be a part of a wider collective of passengers. Meeting people and interacting is a large part of the experience and most people make many new friends. It's an environment where you are waited on hand and foot. No cooking to do, no washing up. You room is tidied every day, your bed made every day, bins emptied, tea/coffee biscuits replaced.

It's an environment where you have a wide range of amenities and facilities within short walking distance instead of having to get in a car or bus and go walking around town. You have shops, cafes/coffee bars, quiet lounges, bars, libraries, computer centres, gyms, games rooms, spas, swimming pools, sunbathing areas, card rooms, theatres, cinemas and much more, all there within the length of a ship. You can choose to use them or not at your preference.

All the food and entertainment is "free", built into the ticket price which includes of course sea-going passage around the world for many days and all the service you get. I doubt very much it is cheaper to get the same things at home. You would be talking about having an in-house cleaner, in-house caterers, transport to shops, cafes, bars, theatres, cinemas and the like plus then the cost of chartering a boat to the places you want to visit including porterage for your luggage and car parking and all the rest.

Cruise lines have every facet of a voyage nailed down and perfected and the experience is for most, utterly brilliant. You DO however have to have a certain mind set and ability to accept you are part of a wider collective of people and the humility and willingness to compromise at times for the wider benefit of all. Anyone who lacks such qualities is best to avoid cruising.

In the end, the specific choice of cruise line, the specific choice of ship and the time of year chosen, are all VITAL elements of ensuring a wonderful holiday at sea. One can not generalise the art of cruising from the experience of one cruise or one cruise line any more than you can generalise and say something like "Eating out at restaurants is not for me, I went to Nandos and it was just a Butlins style smash and grab".
You are the PR guy for Cruise Lines R Us and I claim my Ģ5.
Good write up mate, which will make me look at cruise holiday's in a better light and maybe even book one, thanks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

27-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I can't see the photos either. I don't get any "not now" option. I just get a Facebook Sign Up or login option.

It all depends on what version of Windows and browser you have I suspect. I even disabled my firewall to try it and that made no difference.
I don't have Windows Realist, I use a Mac.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top