Join for free
Page 9 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Re: A very bleak mood...

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Invite them round for a cup of tea, coffee.
And/or...get your son (or you!) to research local lunch clubs in your area...or day centres...where you can meet kind folk and have a spot to eat and drink and enjoy a natter.
There will be volunteers who could fetch you and take you home.

Start with the library, citizens advice bureau, Samaritans, yes really!
You don't need to be suicidal to use the Samaritans, they're there for all kinds of reasons...

Above all you need company xx
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I too am feeling exceptionally low. Nothing to do with the cancer (hopefully clear), but my arthritis is so bad I can barely walk, in addition to the COPD, I really have had enough.

I struggled around Tesco last Friday, as I was desperate to get out and see people. I flaked out at the checkout and the First Aider had to call my son to come and drive me home. So now I have lost all confidence about going out. I have not been out of the house since then and the isolation and loneliness is really getting me down. My neighbours do not even know I exist. What is the point of living like this?
Sorry that you are feeling so low.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I too am feeling exceptionally low. Nothing to do with the cancer (hopefully clear), but my arthritis is so bad I can barely walk, in addition to the COPD, I really have had enough.

I struggled around Tesco last Friday, as I was desperate to get out and see people. I flaked out at the checkout and the First Aider had to call my son to come and drive me home. So now I have lost all confidence about going out. I have not been out of the house since then and the isolation and loneliness is really getting me down. My neighbours do not even know I exist. What is the point of living like this?
CeeCee, is there anybody who you could phone for a chat or perhaps a Friends of the Elderly group who could call to take you out. I remember my mum belonged to such a group and they would pick people up and take them for coffee or lunch. I do hope you can find an answer to your loneliness problem.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 08:37 PM

My bleak mood has returned; I can't sleep, endlessly thrashing at the sheets.

It's not like I'm drinking too much coffee or anything, more a general angst that won't go away...that plus a splitting headache. I can't seem to still my mind.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 08:44 PM

Why not put the light on make yourself a drink of warm milk and read a book instead of thrashing the sheets.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Hi Flosse.

Repurcusions of the cancer notwithstanding (my wife has just finished her radiotherapy course, but has some miserable side effects), perhaps it is the time of year.
I suffer badly with S.A.D (seasonal disorder syndrome), and working night shifts makes it even worse. I take vitamin D3 tablets each day to combat this, which I'm sure helps slightly.

But otherwise mate, get plenty of fresh air, go for walks if you can in the crisp air and this will usually make you feel a lot better when you return home
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My bleak mood has returned; I can't sleep, endlessly thrashing at the sheets.

It's not like I'm drinking too much coffee or anything, more a general angst that won't go away...that plus a splitting headache. I can't seem to still my mind.

If you have previously been drinking copious amounts of coffee and have now seriously cut down, your mood could be 'withdrawal symptoms' of caffeine.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
If you have previously been drinking copious amounts of coffee and have now seriously cut down, your mood could be 'withdrawal symptoms' of caffeine.
Nail on head, Joe.
In my early years of working nights I was wondering why I still couldn't sleep, even with knocking coffee on the head for a couple of weeks beforehand. A colleague mentioned the same reason.
Now I make sure that my last coffee before I sleep is at least three hours before I'm due to begin my slumber
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks, folks, I feel much better having slept a solid 10 hours.

Yes, getting out and about is something I'm guilty of not doing enough of.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Thanks, folks, I feel much better having slept a solid 10 hours.

Yes, getting out and about is something I'm guilty of not doing enough of.
Even a 10-minute walk around the block invigorates the senses, Ffosse. Does you the world of good, especially in this wintry sunshine...and definitely gets you in the mood for that very tempting mug of coffee!

Page 9 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top