Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:10 PM

The Pub

The Pub used to be a fascinating place, a hub for communication, now it is like the EU, all anyone want's to do is eat, this is sad, but necessary maybe.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Re: The Pub

The pub , like anything else, has had to adapt to changes over the years, I can just about remember when the only food you could have were a packet of crisps or nuts, now it seems that every pub has to do food just to survive
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 12:15 PM

Many pubs have to put on quizzes with high money prizes to get people in. Usually, on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The pub , like anything else, has had to adapt to changes over the years, I can just about remember when the only food you could have were a packet of crisps or nuts, now it seems that every pub has to do food just to survive
This^.
Most pubs rely on food to get the punters in.
There are still quite a few traditional pubs (that don't do food) but rely on other aspects such as sport on TV or promoting quality real ale or the new fad, gin joints.
It's all a way of keeping their businesses going.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Ooh yes...
A sparkling rosé and a packet of cashews please
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 01:56 PM

I had a thread about this last year - Where have all the pubs gone?
It is VERY true, they are not pubs anymore. Mr Weatherspoon and Mr Yates saw to that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Reasons why Pubs have changed!

1) Drink /driving laws often make people stay home and drink there.
2) Nobody is allowed to smoke in the pub.

These reasons are sensible but do reduce the number of people who use them!

3) Many people who travel abroad used to enjoy eating and drinking at the local bars, where their children were welcome.
4) Reduced numbers of people meant that the landlord's income reduced, so they used the buildings as restaurants or places for social activities... like quiz nights.

Without these changes we would have lost a lot of local pubs, and the younger people of today will see the new ones as the norm.
Sadly most thing change and we don't like it.....but that is life!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:18 PM

I really can't remember the last time I went to a pub just to drink. It has to be at least twenty years ago.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:43 PM

I hate going outside for a ciggy!!!!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 03:09 PM

The pub as we knew it is finally gone forever, I never thought I’d see the day of smokeless pubs serving water and cooking full dinners. Can’t see me own local lasting much longer, there were seven pubs in my area up till the smoking ban came in, only one and a half left now, the half pub being the one that only opens at lunch time, closes at 3pm, then opens up again at 8.30pm. the few staff he has are called in when he needs them and get minimum wage. My favourite local closed two years ago, it was a lovely building and had a raised stage for performers, it’s been turned into a supermarket now.
Sad, there are so many good barmen and barmaids out of good steady employment now, what a waste. I used to take my visiting relations from Canada and Britain on pub tours around the city in the old days, they all still remember those days, but those places are gone now and I wouldn’t know where to take them if it was now.
I’m glad I was around to enjoy all the craic, music and good company of the old pubs where you had caring landlords who respected your custom and treated it’s customers as people not as paying numbers, indeed I’ve known some publicans who have financed funerals for long standing customers who had no life insurance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top