Join for free
Page 13 of 17 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 09:25 PM

Re: How far gone is Greasy Joe?

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Christmas? Hardly! More possibly by spinning the dreidel
Spinning "dreidels" (whatever they may be) is not the British thing to do during the cracker season. You don't seem to make much effort to fit in, Todger.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
For all those saying how bad Biden is.........doesn't it just prove how bad his predecessor must have been?
Erm......
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Spinning "dreidels" (whatever they may be)
I promised I wouldn't stick my nose in here again, but I just wanted to say that a Dreidel is a 4 sided spinning top with Hebrew letters. on it. Its played during Hanukkah. Just a fascinating bit of information I wanted to share.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I promised I wouldn't stick my nose in here again, but I just wanted to say that a Dreidel is a 4 sided spinning top with Hebrew letters. on it. Its played during Hanukkah. Just a fascinating bit of information I wanted to share.
I'm glad you did Pixie, that would have kept me awake tonight....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Spinning "dreidels" (whatever they may be) is not the British thing to do during the cracker season. You don't seem to make much effort to fit in, Todger.
Maybe - maybe not - but we don't make any attempt to make or force anyone adopt our customs or object to Christians doing their thing.

Of course the irony is that spinning the dreidel has been a kids game since before Victorian times across Europe and probably North America where it is commonly called "Cootie Catcher". In Manchester it was usually "Biddie Catcher" or in more polite areas "Chatterbox".
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm glad you did Pixie, that would have kept me awake tonight....
Well exactly! That's why I had to look it up and find out! I'm so glad I helped lessen the angst for you
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Not much of a substitute for an Xmas cracker, Pixie. You can't pull it apart and watch with glee as all the little treasures come tumbling out.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

21-03-2021, 10:23 PM

Not so sure about treasures - I thought cooties were lice or bedbugs or something?
Harbal
South Yorkshire

21-03-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Maybe - maybe not - but we don't make any attempt to make or force anyone adopt our customs or object to Christians doing their thing.
You don't have to be a Christian to pull a cracker, Todger. Although it does help when the cracker is also a Christian.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tubby ->
Not so sure about treasures - I thought cooties were lice or bedbugs or something?
I THINK that the yanks call the cootie catchers and us biddy catchers because they're often played with a folded bit of paper that you --- oh have a look here

https://jewniorclub.com/dreidels-and-fingers/. There's many variations.

Page 13 of 17 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top