Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 11:39 PM

Re: What would you do ...

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh, you old pessimist.

For maybe the one in a thousand calls that might possibly occur, I wouldn't think that way Dex.
Anyone that wanted me urgently would know if I don't answer my landline, to either leave a message or try my mobile.
Thought the discussion included someone calling you on your mobile.

Really can't see the problem with taking the call and making a quick decision. Only takes a second to recognise some dodgy accent to identify a scammer, put down the receiver and hit the block number button. Only takes 10 seconds to tell a friend or family member you'll call them back when convenient
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Thought the discussion included someone calling you on your mobile.

Really can't see the problem with taking the call and making a quick decision. Only takes a second to recognise some dodgy accent to identify a scammer, put down the receiver and hit the block number button. Only takes 10 seconds to tell a friend or family member you'll call them back when convenient:confused:

I already said in my previous post, if it was a friend's number I would pick up and tell them I'd call them back!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 12:32 AM

Our landline is only for internet and a message bank. It never rings at all. If somebody rings on our mobiles well we'll know who it is. If it's unknown we don't answer it.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Our landline is only for internet and a message bank. It never rings at all. If somebody rings on our mobiles well we'll know who it is. If it's unknown we don't answer it.
I have ignored the unknown numbers but always have a nagging doubt it could be one of these check and trace people with some bad news.
We went to the Harvester for my birthday last week and I had a phone call from them. Stupidly I thought 'bums it's a check and trace notification'.
I was wrong they wanted to know if I wanted to make a Christmas booking again.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 10:50 AM

If I might divert the thread a touch?

There appears to be a lot of concern that track & trace calls (NHS) are not being answered as folk are, rightly, suspicious of calls from numbers they don't recognise.

There is also a concern that scammers are using track and trace fake calls to open their scams.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/06...eal-or-a-scam/

Sorry for the diversion, from topic.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Dammit, my post should have read ‘usually I eat when on the phone’. Sorry if it confused anyone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If I might divert the thread a touch?

There appears to be a lot of concern that track & trace calls (NHS) are not being answered as folk are, rightly, suspicious of calls from numbers they don't recognise.

There is also a concern that scammers are using track and trace fake calls to open their scams.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/06...eal-or-a-scam/

Sorry for the diversion, from topic.

I read about these scammers not so long ago Ted.
Apparently charging people £50 for fictitious test results or something.
Disgusting, loathsome people aren't they.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 04:25 PM

For maybe the one in a thousand calls that might possibly occur, I wouldn't think that way Dex.
One would be enough.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
One would be enough.

If you prefer to think doom and gloom, that's fine, but I am not going to answer a scammer just incase it's a life or death call.

As I have already said, someone who wanted me urgently would speak, try my mobile, or send a text even - not do a silent call.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 06:00 PM

If you prefer to think doom and gloom, that's fine, but I am not going to answer a scammer just incase it's a life or death call.
A few times it has been actual, not just in case.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top