Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Are You Mean Or Generous When It Comes To Using..Water, Electricity Or Gas?

I am on a water meter and I flush the toilet every time! Yet, I have heard of some people on water meters that only flush their toilet once a day to save water!
I switch unnecessary lights off but I have the heating on, as and when it is needed.
What about you? Are you....Mean, Generous or just trying to save the planet?!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Re: Are You Mean Or Generous When It Comes To Using..Water, Electricity Or Gas?

I can't think about it we use what we need, however I do query some members of the families needs occasionally, turning off lights seems foreign to one member of the family and another changes clothes twice or three times a day if she can get away with it making piles of washing !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:22 PM

We use what we need. We've spent quite a bit on house insulation, but that's pretty well paid for itself. Any new appliances are A+ or better and we're gradually replacing ordinary bulbs with LED lights. We have a rotary washing line and a clothes pulley, so we rarely use the tumble drier.

However, our rural lifestyle involves storing quite a bit of food and garden produce, so we run 3 freezers and 2 fridges. No mains gas, so cooking is all electric and heating is oil fired. No water meters in this area.

It costs what it costs and we have to accept that. We refuse to freeze !
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Definitely mean. I rarely switch lights on never mind leave them on. All unused switches are turned off, because I am informed that they still consume power even when not in use. I got a tv box a couple of months ago and found that my quarterly bill had risen by about £20. I am debating the box's future, will have to see if switching the box off overnight makes a difference? I hate the thought of enabling the greedy fools of the power companies, plus I am on my own so don;t use a lot of power anyway, but yes I'm keen to remain mean for my own sake and our dear old planet.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:32 PM

I am very aware of fossil fuels and the effect on world resources not to mention the electricity bill!
So I am mean always turning lights off.
I like warmth though so do have the heating on when I'm cold .
I hate wasting water -it's such a precious resource ( although at the moment there is rather too much of it in some areas )
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Probably not quite as mean as I could be, but I hate feeling cold, and I do also use my washing machine quite alot what with my stuff plus 5 lots of dog bedding washed weekly.
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:43 PM

I'm as mean as a junk yard dog when it comes to fuel usage. I constantly go round switching off lights if my Granddaughter is staying over. Mrs H is meaner than me and sits with fingerless gloves, socks and a bobble hat on in bed! She is in the East wing bedroom and gets the sun in the morning so is spoilt really! I have to break the icicles off my Nose in the morning usually so this balmy weather can continue as long as it likes.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:47 PM

I just take care is all. I've noticed I would have to have the heating up very high to cure my cold feet so I opt for a hot water bottle now - or as well. I have a fairly new boiler system and it is awesome. The house has never been so warm and cosy. Great thing is it is so responsive and easy to control. My gas bill is pretty low too. My electric bill is a bit of a worry as I run a home server around the clock and it gobbles up a fair bit of juice.

Summary: I don't waste energy.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:49 PM

We have my moments ...sometimes we are generous and sometimes
we are am mean ...
we try but with three adults in the household ... doesn't make life easy ...
Everyone wants to do their own thing ...
One has the heating on because it to cold .. the other one has their window open because it is to hot ...
We all cook at different times ... because we come in at different times ..
Their is a lot of waste in my household ...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 01:50 PM

I've noticed a huge difference in my bills since I stopped leaving things on standby and not wasted water.
I don't like waste especially money related.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top