Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Re: I don't....

I don't bank on line, I don't have a credit card - I use my husband's card occasionally with his permission. I don't shop on line, I don't buy expensive clothes in shops but I do wear expensive clothes because I get them at second-hand shops. For example, my vintage Burberry mac which is much admired and cost only £12. I'm not mean, I'd sooner buy good second hand clothes than cheap new ones. I find supermarket clothes look like rags after only one or two washes, especially jumpers. When people say "you can't take it with you" I reply that if I really want something I buy it.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Good for you Malcolm. I fall a bit between yourself and Realist. We bought our first house before we were married and never had a mortgage over £10k.

We have no need or desire for Sky or any pay TV. We have PAYG 'dumb' phones for emergencies, shop mainly in Lidl & ASDA as the nearest Waitrose is 175 miles away. We only use (old) newspapers to light the fire - that's all most are good for. We retired in our early - mid 50's and returned north to Scotland to enjoy 'The good life'. Don't need a window cleaner because the windows open inwards for easy cleaning.

Our main indulgence is travel, both by air and in our motorhome. We also have a new car. When in Europe , we shop in C&A for clothes. We manage to save and have sufficient financial buffer, to cope with unexpected expense.

While some people may think this is a privileged position, I think it's pretty much the norm for many 'Baby Boomers'.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 01:01 PM

I think that having watched parents being careful with money, making do and mending, it becomes part of the psyche. My indulgence is employing a gardener and that's out of necessity now my husband can't manage it and I can only do a little.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Guessing because you're caught in the trap and so the things I bring to the table here seem outlandish and crazy to you. I feel sorry for a great deal of the other posters here. I see people in chains of their own making and blissfully unaware of the "spell" that creates the illusionary world they live in.
You're guessing wrong, don't owe a penny to anyone. Home well an truly paid for many a year. Seen a lot of the world......have you?

Have all the necessities I want. I love technology, love gadgets so have most.........why not?

Had a poor childhood, brought up in the war with ration books and little to eat, old clothes and old cold house.

Now I'm always well dressed, have a food cupboard full ( just in case) nice warm comfortable home.

When I pop my clogs OH too, family will have nothing to worry about, all is arranged and paid for

Maybe it was about upping mortgage repayments that made me sorry for you.......I do believe everyone in my age group did it.........did you really think was only you?

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 01:51 PM

The OP seems to be all about the poster but he is one half of a couple and I'm wondering one thing - Is Malcolm's wife happy to shop at Lidl - have no social life as such and her only indulgence be joint worship of the Jaguar?

Good grief - that lifestyle wouldn't suit me!!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 03:19 PM

I guarantee that my wife is happier than you Carol.
I wait on her hand and foot, she has no worries at all and she, unlike me, spends money like there's no tommorow.
I would remind you that my wife is totally and profoundly deaf and our practically non-existent social life is mainly her choice due to her disability.
She wouldn't care if our car was as commonplace and cheap as yours, not being a driver herself, the Jag just serves as her taxi to the shops.
BTW....we shop at Aldi and not Lidl please do try to pay attention.
I do hope you had a wonderful Christmas or at least half as good as ours.
My best wishes to you for a wonderful and happy new year
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I guarantee that my wife is happier than you Carol.
What a strange, even unpleasant, thing to say.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:36 PM

JAYZUS!!...Why do most of the threads on here always turn into all out bloody rows/arguments?...getting SO tired of it now
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:46 PM

I wondered if I was the only one to notice that May too ;(
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Realist
I wonder if paying off the mortgage is possible today in the same way?
Young people have such enormous mortgages .
Please can you explain how this is done ?
eg if you have a mortgage of 150k and you are allowed to overpay 10% pa when is the best time to do this and how long would it take to pay off ?
maths is not my strong point.
but i just saw this

On a £150,000 mortgage at 5% with 25 years remaining, paying off a £5,000 lump sum will reduce the interest by £11,500 and the repayment term by 18 months.

Still cant work out how long it would take to pay off completely

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top