Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 05:47 PM

Re: Meet Asimo

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Bah pesky smart machines, I hate them. It’s a bit slow at pouring the drinks, it wouldn’t get a job in my local. So it can run, dance and wave it’s arms, how is that supposed to help anyone? The only future I can see besides the novelty of the thing is sending three of them to Mars to collect rock samples. I think it’ll be just another toy for the super rich. Ask any mother of a new baby would she trust that thing to carry her baby from A to B and place it in a cot, I don’t think you would have many volunteers. They have been trying to make mechanical humans since clockwork was invented, I mean even if they could make a perfect human being who’d want one? we have plenty of spare old models down at the labour exchange only too willing to help, anyone needs help take one of them on instead of a very expensive heap of useless dancing junk.
We must be the only species ever created determined to destroy ourselves by actively trying to create something to replace us, sheer madness IMO, but then I’m only an old fashioned old fart who enjoys slagging off all the new stuff.
They are demonstrating advanced capabilities. Similar robots are already in use ...

Here is one employed at Butlins as an entertainer.

He has a mind of his own this one. He punches one guy.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 07:47 PM

Good clip Mark I enjoyed it, but all the thing is is a walking supervised record player.
But then again I might have to rethink my values on robots, looking at that clip I noticed it took five bouncers to look after the robot, that is five jobs to look after one robot at Butlins, if there were a million robots made it would solve Britain’s unemployment problem at a stroke.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:26 PM

What about this one ...

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Bah pesky smart machines, I hate them. It’s a bit slow at pouring the drinks, it wouldn’t get a job in my local. So it can run, dance and wave it’s arms, how is that supposed to help anyone? The only future I can see besides the novelty of the thing is sending three of them to Mars to collect rock samples. I think it’ll be just another toy for the super rich. Ask any mother of a new baby would she trust that thing to carry her baby from A to B and place it in a cot, I don’t think you would have many volunteers. They have been trying to make mechanical humans since clockwork was invented, I mean even if they could make a perfect human being who’d want one? we have plenty of spare old models down at the labour exchange only too willing to help, anyone needs help take one of them on instead of a very expensive heap of useless dancing junk.
We must be the only species ever created determined to destroy ourselves by actively trying to create something to replace us, sheer madness IMO, but then I’m only an old fashioned old fart who enjoys slagging off all the new stuff.
Way to go Jem, it may be coincidental, but of late, I have had cause to buy a new Sledgehammer.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 02:03 PM

And come to think of it if we had five million people employed looking after one million Asimoass robots, the work would carry prestige, “What do you do for a living?” “I’m in charge of a robot” smiles broadly. Folks would think you were some sort of professor, beats frying hamburgers all day for a living. I hope the relevant minister is taking note of all this free advice.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 03:37 PM

The clip where they are playing football had me in fits of laughter, just like watching England play - FAB !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:34 AM

just watched an oldie " the hunt for AI"by prof Marcus Du Sautoy talking about embodied intelligence - fascinating
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 08:42 PM

In respect of Asimo, I've never really seen the point of all those $millions invested in it.

One has to realise that this is not a sentient robot. It can't do much at all of it's own volition. For the most part it is simply controlled by a human operator using a joystick and laptop. The robot can respond to specific markers placed in a room and can interpret voice commands and hand signals, but then so can an XBOX Kinect which costs a £100 or so !

Possibly people don't really appreciate what they are seeing when they watch clips like this. When "Asimo" picks up a flask, unscrews it and pours it into a cup, the robot is not doing that himself. He is simply being controlled by a human user. Given that we have had robots in automated factories doing automated jobs for decades, this isn't very impressive.

In the end, the problem is that the most efficient robot, the one that will be the most robust, the most easy to control, the least affected by changes in environment, the most useful, is NOT going to be one that mimics a human. It will be one that can change its shape, change its mode of movement, which has wheels or tracks for fast and reliable transport, which can take to the air or take to water, can operate at different angles and/or self-right itself and so on.

I'm loathe to get back into the pointless discussion about where the future will be with robotics and AI. It's not going to be humanoid robots imo, that's just fanciful nonsense put out there to appease a dumb audience whilst in the background the powers that be have very sophisticated robots engaged all over the world, 1000s of them. There are reconnaissance drone planes spying on everyone, military robots of all kinds engaged in wars and doubtless tons of stuff they won't tell us about.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 08:49 PM

Nothing drives invention and innovation more than warfare IMO.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
In respect of Asimo, I've never really seen the point of all those $millions invested in it.

One has to realise that this is not a sentient robot. It can't do much at all of it's own volition. For the most part it is simply controlled by a human operator using a joystick and laptop. The robot can respond to specific markers placed in a room and can interpret voice commands and hand signals, but then so can an XBOX Kinect which costs a £100 or so !

Possibly people don't really appreciate what they are seeing when they watch clips like this. When "Asimo" picks up a flask, unscrews it and pours it into a cup, the robot is not doing that himself. He is simply being controlled by a human user. Given that we have had robots in automated factories doing automated jobs for decades, this isn't very impressive.

In the end, the problem is that the most efficient robot, the one that will be the most robust, the most easy to control, the least affected by changes in environment, the most useful, is NOT going to be one that mimics a human. It will be one that can change its shape, change its mode of movement, which has wheels or tracks for fast and reliable transport, which can take to the air or take to water, can operate at different angles and/or self-right itself and so on.

I'm loathe to get back into the pointless discussion about where the future will be with robotics and AI. It's not going to be humanoid robots imo, that's just fanciful nonsense put out there to appease a dumb audience whilst in the background the powers that be have very sophisticated robots engaged all over the world, 1000s of them. There are reconnaissance drone planes spying on everyone, military robots of all kinds engaged in wars and doubtless tons of stuff they won't tell us about.
you obviously haven't seen the latest AI technology in action - try to watch the show I mentioned above. they are already 5 steps ahead of you

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top