Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Low blue light monitor

I recently bought a monitor. Research of what to buy made me aware of monitors that have 'low blue light' settings. If what I read about blue light is true, then viewing monitors, televisions and being under artificial light in general causes:

* Loss of sleep.
* Eye strain.
* Headaches.
* Warts.
* Pimples.

OK, I'm joking about the warts and pimples but not the other symptoms.

I don't know if life will be made better by avoiding low blue light but do know that my 'low blue light' BenQ monitor is a lot easier on the eyes than the one that doesn't have this feature. The display seems a bit 'different' to start with but after a while you realise that a lot of what we do on the computer doesn't require that bright and crisp display that is so much promoted by monitor manufacturers.

I use a level of low blue light filtering on the monitor all the time now and have just got used to it. It's surprising just how over-bright the display looks when it is turned off. The monitor has a single button that cycles through different levels of blue light filtering. One criticism is that it doesn't have a zero level on that button. Once the low blue light level button is pushed, it's necessary to go deeper into the monitor's menu to turn it off again. However, the lowest level gives a bright enough display for just about any ambient light room conditions. All in all, it's a monitor that's much better to sit in front of and I'm so glad I bought it.

I noticed while researching all this, a program called 'f.lux'. This reduces the general brightness/tint of the screen for different times of day. Might be found to be a good way of reducing eye strain.

https://justgetflux.com/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Re: Low blue light monitor

Thanks Mart I read about the light levels on PCs and have my screen brightness turned very low anyway.
I will give the programme a try
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thanks Mart I read about the light levels on PCs and have my screen brightness turned very low anyway.
I will give the programme a try
Hi Mart I tried it and really don't like it at all . It produced a horrible sickly yellow tinged screen .
I much prefer my low level brightness screen.
Thank you for the suggestion anyway
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:59 PM

I thought f.lux not as good as the monitor that has 'low blue light' filter settings. I believe the question isn't so much about the level of overall brightness (although that would have to make a difference I'd say). It's more about the blue light content there is in the screens we look at. I think f.lux attempts to reduce this, so that would make backgrounds a different colour. A couple of articles about the dreaded blue light here:

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/01/what-i...g-to-our-eyes/

http://chriskresser.com/how-artifici...o-do-about-it/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top