Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Now TV "box"

Anyone any experience of this?

Sainsburys are knocking them out @ £14 and I wondered if anyone could advise.

We only have satellite TV, which is actually SKY and we don't have an aerial but we pay the SKY minimum 'cos that's all we can manage.

It's still pricey to my mind and the costs have been creeping up for months now so we have decided to go over to FreeSat in our new home - whenever that happens - but TV is so dire these days and Winter's coming so - well - you know, what to do?! stevmk2
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Re: Now TV "box"

Hi stevmk2 i have now tv brillant glad i purchased it. I pay £9 pm loads of films and very handy for catching up with programmes that you miss. I would say go for it☺
Anything you want to know contact me ok?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Hi stevmk2 i have now tv brillant glad i purchased it. I pay £9 pm loads of films and very handy for catching up with programmes that you miss. I would say go for it☺
Thanks Doc!

Dunno about the films though (£9.00 per month!?) but your endorsement's very handy - thank you!

We pay about £50 per month now as we have the 'Phone and Broadband as well as TV but our WiFi's pretty good these days and the "box" is directly above the TV!

Catch up TV?

Not sure we'd use it but might be handy. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 04:35 PM

I don't have Sky or any other form of pay TV.
I got a free NOW TV box from Talk-Talk but have never used it!
I steadfastly refuse to pay for a menu of mind-numbing American Films and programmes, and so will stick with free to air programmes from Freeview.
I find there are plenty of watchable programmes there to satisfy my viewing appetite.
I don't know how anyone can justify laying out £50 pm for TV.
How on earth can you afford it ?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 04:38 PM

I just have freeview and it is more than good enough for what I need...Im with Malcolm and wouldnt be able to pay out anything for tv each month.
In fact I listen to the radio on my tv just as much as actually watch any programs lol
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 04:40 PM

Now TV

Looks pretty much just another "suck em in" scheme from Sky, a company I have never used nor will ever use.

Ironically Now TV is supposed to be for those who don't want a contract but of course Now TV is a monthly subscription service so there clearly has to be a contract of sorts. To many it will look like some kind of "mini-Sky" or a way to experience bits of Sky like the sport or the movies etc.

The problem with all this, at least for me, is it follows Sky's tried and tested formula of getting people to pay for "something" without that "something" being nailed down. i.e. Sky are free to change the service and the programmes you can view at will. That's the prime reason I have never and will never buy into Sky. I could decide one day that I'd love to watch shows A, B, C and D and sign up to a basic Sky package that delivers A,B,C and D. Then the very next day Mr Murdock can take B,C and D from my set of channels, maybe moving them from Sky One to Sky Atlantic and suddenly I can't view the programmes I paid the subscriptions for.

Of course this is exactly how Sky sucks in the unwitting. They start up a great new series of something that everyone is talking about, then come season 2 it moves to a more expensive channel requiring you to up your monthly subscription maybe from £30 per month to £40 or £50 pm.

So is Now TV any different? From what I have read no, not really. It seems that the content only stays there for a limited time. So for example if you want to follow a series you may find that you watch episodes 1,2 and 3 but haven't found the time to watch episode 4. After maybe 2 weeks that episode disappears and you've missed out. A nice commercial hook to perpetuate the subscriptions !

Think about it, it you only have a limited amount of time to watch something before it's gone for good, then you're going to be making sure you keep watching when it's available.

The business/price model is based on you paying monthly but you can terminate whenever you like without penalty (unless things have changed since the articles I read).

So what they are doing is ensuring that you will keep watching by constantly moving the content out.

I guess yer pays yer money and takes yer chance

But these schemes are not for me. If I'd succumbed to such monthly subscriptions which tend to lock you in and encourage you to upgrade to ever more expensive subscriptions, I would never have been able to retire at 48.

Freeview/Freesat are easy to obtain and set up.
If I want to watch a series I will buy the box set a year or 2 later at bargain prices and binge watch it without adverts and without any fear I will miss an episode !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 04:58 PM

Also worth reading through this consumer thread which highlights problems with the customer service and some contract shinanegans.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4488077

Moneysavingexpert is a top review site for researching all manner of things.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2015, 05:12 PM

Also, worth reading through this article which covers all the various download service companies

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...s-online-cheap
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
it follows Sky's tried and tested formula of getting people to pay for "something" without that "something" being nailed down. i.e. Sky are free to change the service and the programmes you can view at will. That's the prime reason I have never and will never buy into Sky.
Not just the service and programmes but the subscription rates as well.

Like you I will never ever have anything that is even remotely connected with SKY and when I asked my friendly TV man about NOW TV he immediately said it was owned by SKY although they don't mention that much in the adverts.

It's just another way of sucking you in and once signed up they WILL bump up the subscriptions above the RPI every year.

Don't do it, stick to Freeview, and although your £50 a month covers broadband / line rental as well as TV and they will be bombarding you with e-mails and phone calls to add the sports channels as well. You could well end up paying over £100 a month
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 06:53 PM

I have apple tv , I paid a one off payment of 99 pounds to buy the little box , I mainly use it to watch movies which you can buy with an I tunes voucher , im sure there's other stuff on there subscription free but as I said I mainly use it for movies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top