Join for free
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:56 PM

Safer jet fuel.

'Sticky chains' promise crash-safe fuel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34411382

Chemical engineers have produced an additive for jet fuel that reduces the risk of violent explosions, but - at least in laboratory tests - does not compromise engine function.
The video on the page above certainly shows how effective this new doctored fuel is. The doctored fuel doesn't ignite whereas the undoctored explodes. Looks to be a real life saver.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 04:19 PM

Re: Safer jet fuel.

Looks good so all anyone now needs to worry about is falling out of the sky, much better Still wouldn't get me up in one.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm sure that something similar has been tried in the past and was the subject of a TV prog.

I have no problems with flying. The first time it was exciting, the 500th was just plain boring.
However I'd prefer knowing I wasn't going to crash rather than that the fuel was safe if I did.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'm sure that something similar has been tried in the past and was the subject of a TV prog.

I have no problems with flying. The first time it was exciting, the 500th was just plain boring.
However I'd prefer knowing I wasn't going to crash rather than that the fuel was safe if I did.
I should think many crashes will be avoided - the ones caused by leaking fuel igniting for instance. Lots of crashes have occurred where the fuel exploding has been the main killer.

I found the video incredible - the difference between an inferno and nothing at all .

This technology can be applied to other fuel types too.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top